Making A Magic: The Gathering Game = Suicide

Started by
37 comments, last by Ganryu 22 years, 5 months ago
I need some help here. Has anyone ever tried making an M:tG game? I thought it would be easy at first... but well. I''ve stumbled upon a few VERY annoying problems and i believe developing the AI is the worst of them. My first step though is to make the game playable without an AI and my problem NOW is that i don''t even know how to make the game UNDERSTAND what each card will do. Help, please.
Advertisement
Not knowing how the game is played I can''t offer much advice. Aren''t there different categories of cards though? I''m assuming you have a Card class. Have some members for the category (offense, defense, whatever), the damage an attack can do or how much defense it offers. Things like that. Hopefully someone that plays the game can offer more advice.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

You could use a script for each card and each state the card could be in. The script would hold the attack and defense for a card and any special commands the card can do. I don’t remember the exact way to play MTG but from what I can remember this would work and would provide a lot of flexibility for the cards.
Yeah. I guess that's the only viable solution...

Edited by - Ganryu on October 18, 2001 10:03:20 AM
are you trying to make an exact replica of the card rules system, or a electronic card game like magic?
Here's a new dance everyone can do, do the Kirby:<(*.*<) <(^.^)> (>*.*)> <(^.^)> <(*.*<) (>^.^)>
I''m trying to make an exact replica, yes.
a good idea for that kind of game is to store the stats in an ascii text file and have it read from that, and use code in the game to handle the information.

this is what i did with my first rpg ''Bafl Crystal I'' for all of the enemies and character stats
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
You mean like making some sort of script interpreter? Do you know somewhere i can find tutorials on incorporating scripting into my game?
i heard this is a good place to start

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
Haaaa!

Anyway. I forgot the article library. Silly me!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement