software engineering books

Started by
3 comments, last by GOOSEDUMP 22 years, 6 months ago
I was wondering if anybody can recommend any advanced softare engineering books, probably more towards 3d game engine design? I would like to read something beyond programming patterns (GOF). Any suggestions?
Advertisement
I have never seen a good book on 3D engine architecture. I''ve seen several with those words in their title, but they have nothing to do with designing a 3D engine.

If you ever find a good book on engine DESIGN, post it. Otherwise I''d say look at other engines and see how they do theirs.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
I''ve yet to find one either.

"Game Architecture and Design" makes a half-hearted attempt, but is lacking. "3D Game Engine Design" by David H. Eberly is very good, but it isn''t really about Game Engine design as much as Graphics Engine design. It explains a number of methods involving in collision detection, spatial sorting, and object culling, which are game engine topics but they are focused on the graphics and implementation. Both of those books _mention patterns, but that won''t do you much good after reading GOF''s DP.

If you haven''t worked with the interface-coclass design much, take a look at COM.

If there''s interest on the board here, we could try collaborating on a game engine design.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
If there''s interest on the board here, we could try collaborating on a game engine design.

Now that is an interesting idea, Magmai. I''d be very interested in participating in something like this.

- Houdini

- Houdini
quote:
I was wondering if anybody can recommend any advanced software engineering books, probably more towards 3d game engine design?

Goosedump,

I''d just like to point out that in the academic study of "software engineering," architectural design is only a small subset of the entire topic. In an advanced book on software engineering you''ll find next to nothing on architectural design, other than a cursory overview of the process involved in the design phase and different ways to manage design phases. You''re more likely to find out about scheduling, timelines, and process paradigms than anything else in SE books.

For my thesis on software engineering I poored over several (8-12) advanced texts on software engineering. What I''ve found is that software engineering is about the process and methodologies involved in producing software, not in any particular aspect of the software technologies.

So why did I just go on this tirade? Well to inform you that you are looking in the wrong books. Look in books on architectural design, software design, graphics frameworks, etc. The academic literary world, those responsible for writing a vast majority of books on advanced topics, reserves the word "software engineering" for the process of developing software.

I''m not trying to nit-pick, just pointing out academic usage of the word, and trying to help you find the right resources.

On topic: I don''t think I''ve ever run across any books on 3D engine design but I did read an article by John Carmack on this exact topic that you might find interesting. I can''t remember where I read it, it was long ago.

RandomTask "Had nightmares of SE for 2 years"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement