Component based game engine book

Started by
2 comments, last by hdxpete 11 years, 2 months ago

Looking for a good book on component based game engine development. preferably one that doesn't take me through the basics of what a vector and matrix is.

I really like the unity approach as far as a game engine design goes and would like to see about designing my own similarly structured game engine in my free time.

thxs for any input.

Advertisement

A few books specific to engine programming are "3D Game Engine Architecture" by David Eberly (he has an older version too) and "3D game engine programming" by Stefan Zerbst is ok too. You could use these books for general design then improve on their implementations later. I don't know if their is a book specific to creating a Unity type environment, but there are resources on creating scene editors. Once you have an engine running you could then create a scene editor for your engine.

A few books specific to engine programming are "3D Game Engine Architecture" by David Eberly (he has an older version too) and "3D game engine programming" by Stefan Zerbst is ok too

To the best of my knowledge, neither of those deal with component-style engines.

You might try Game Engine Architecture by Jason Gregory. It's not focussed on component-style engines per se, but it does address them along the way, and it's generally a pretty decent book.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I've seen a lot of people recommend the Jason Gregory book. I have been trying to pick it up. the Stefan Zerbst i believe i have...

Thanks all for the answers. It seems there is yet a component based game engine design book. Shame really...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement