• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
irreversible

Build up Games & Social Network sites in minutes!

8 posts in this topic

Shouldn't GameDev be collecting advertising fee's from this blatant commercial advertising campaign?  I hate to be the bad guy here but this was a horrible advertising attempt which makes me have little respect for this App Kungfu place.  They can't even produce a forum thread that makes me think this person found this site, it screams of cheap shabby advertising practices, obviously they do not actually provide top quality services otherwise they would be making enough money to hire advertisers who could do their job correctly.

I could go on for hours about how ineffective this campaign was and how much it shows about the companies profitability, talent and potential but that is a totally different discussion.  I vote to have this thread removed from the site as it is not helpful towards game development, it is a commercial advertisement and that it actually promotes incorrect business practices and concepts.  (You do NOT need millions to start a social networking site, I've been part of companies that did it in under $10,000.00 which included the servers, my coding expenses AND advertisement!)  Anyway, point is the video is already misguiding people by concept alone and the company didn't pay you for advertising space, GameDev moderators please make with the ban hammer if you will.

You know, hitting the report button under his post does a lot more to catch a moderator's attention, than continually bumping the thread...

You know, hitting the report button under his post does a lot more to catch a moderator's attention, than continually bumping the thread...

Sorry, I forgot it existed...

But why remove the thread content and leave it sitting in the list, instead of just completely deleting the entire thread, it's place in the list, and all of its replies?  It just seems like a waste to leave it on the site in the first place.

But why remove the thread content and leave it sitting in the list, instead of just completely deleting the entire thread, it's place in the list, and all of its replies?  It just seems like a waste to leave it on the site in the first place.

Because if I removed the thread entirely, nobody would be able to read my community PSA about the report button...

I had a part to do with this as well and hopefully make up for a bit of it by supporting the Report button.  Would have been so much simpler for me to click "Report" instead of posting a complaint and then messaging one of the moderators and directing their attention to this thread.  In short, as Kyle would say on south park "You know I learned something today."

Moral of the story, myself included maybe we all need to pay a little more attention to how this great site works instead of jumping on the complaint wagon.  Anyone else that makes it here, Swiftcoder pointed out a very valuable tool to us, that little grayed out "Report" button on the bottom of each post.  It will flag the moderators and help to keep our community clean.

In my defense, I HAVE used it in the past...like, once...so I think I deserve a cookie for that...

All joking aside, sorry Swiftcoder.  I'll use the report button when I see anything like this going on.

Since this thread is now for learning purposes, I suppose it wouldn't be bad to ask a question about reporting...

I noticed a lot of situations where I'll find people (usually completely new to the forums) posting in the wrong forum, e.g. people posting Classifieds in For Beginners.  With 0 replies and only a few views, I usually just leave it because I don't really know what to do about it (reply telling them they're in the wrong place, leave it for a moderator to find, etc.)

Is that something you're supposed to report, or are you only supposed to report more "abusive" things?

Edited by Sir Mac Jefferson

That would be a fine use for the report function.

Good uses for reporting include:

• Spam
  • Abusive behaviour (insults, excessive or particularly pointed swearing, etc.)
  • Cross posted/duplicate topics
  • Topics that may be in the wrong forum
  • Suspected trolling

Essentially, any time you think about including some message to the moderators asking for some sort of action in one of your replies, consider hitting the report button instead (or as well), as it'll usually lead to a much faster response. smile.png

I HAVE used it in the past...like, once...so I think I deserve a cookie for that...

For reference, you actually get a small reputation boost (in the "moderation" category) whenever a moderator marks a report you filed as "resolved".