Build up Games & Social Network sites in minutes!

Started by
7 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 2 months ago
Advertisement

I foresee (fore)closure.

I foresee (fore)closure.

Indubitably!

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Shouldn't GameDev be collecting advertising fee's from this blatant commercial advertising campaign? I hate to be the bad guy here but this was a horrible advertising attempt which makes me have little respect for this App Kungfu place. They can't even produce a forum thread that makes me think this person found this site, it screams of cheap shabby advertising practices, obviously they do not actually provide top quality services otherwise they would be making enough money to hire advertisers who could do their job correctly.

I could go on for hours about how ineffective this campaign was and how much it shows about the companies profitability, talent and potential but that is a totally different discussion. I vote to have this thread removed from the site as it is not helpful towards game development, it is a commercial advertisement and that it actually promotes incorrect business practices and concepts. (You do NOT need millions to start a social networking site, I've been part of companies that did it in under $10,000.00 which included the servers, my coding expenses AND advertisement!) Anyway, point is the video is already misguiding people by concept alone and the company didn't pay you for advertising space, GameDev moderators please make with the ban hammer if you will.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

You know, hitting the report button under his post does a lot more to catch a moderator's attention, than continually bumping the thread...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You know, hitting the report button under his post does a lot more to catch a moderator's attention, than continually bumping the thread...

Sorry, I forgot it existed...

But why remove the thread content and leave it sitting in the list, instead of just completely deleting the entire thread, it's place in the list, and all of its replies? It just seems like a waste to leave it on the site in the first place.

But why remove the thread content and leave it sitting in the list, instead of just completely deleting the entire thread, it's place in the list, and all of its replies? It just seems like a waste to leave it on the site in the first place.

Because if I removed the thread entirely, nobody would be able to read my community PSA about the report button...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I had a part to do with this as well and hopefully make up for a bit of it by supporting the Report button. Would have been so much simpler for me to click "Report" instead of posting a complaint and then messaging one of the moderators and directing their attention to this thread. In short, as Kyle would say on south park "You know I learned something today."

Moral of the story, myself included maybe we all need to pay a little more attention to how this great site works instead of jumping on the complaint wagon. Anyone else that makes it here, Swiftcoder pointed out a very valuable tool to us, that little grayed out "Report" button on the bottom of each post. It will flag the moderators and help to keep our community clean.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

In my defense, I HAVE used it in the past...like, once...so I think I deserve a cookie for that...

All joking aside, sorry Swiftcoder. I'll use the report button when I see anything like this going on.

Since this thread is now for learning purposes, I suppose it wouldn't be bad to ask a question about reporting...

I noticed a lot of situations where I'll find people (usually completely new to the forums) posting in the wrong forum, e.g. people posting Classifieds in For Beginners. With 0 replies and only a few views, I usually just leave it because I don't really know what to do about it (reply telling them they're in the wrong place, leave it for a moderator to find, etc.)

Is that something you're supposed to report, or are you only supposed to report more "abusive" things?

That would be a fine use for the report function.

Good uses for reporting include:

• Spam
  • Abusive behaviour (insults, excessive or particularly pointed swearing, etc.)
  • Cross posted/duplicate topics
  • Topics that may be in the wrong forum
  • Suspected trolling

Essentially, any time you think about including some message to the moderators asking for some sort of action in one of your replies, consider hitting the report button instead (or as well), as it'll usually lead to a much faster response. smile.png

I HAVE used it in the past...like, once...so I think I deserve a cookie for that...

For reference, you actually get a small reputation boost (in the "moderation" category) whenever a moderator marks a report you filed as "resolved".

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement