std::vector<some_class> array;

void pushback_function()
{
    some_class temp;
    array.push_back(temp);
}

Is it somehow possible to avoid calling destructor of temp

Advertisement
Not really. Why don't you want the destructor called?

If you are trying to save the copy, you can look into C++11's move semantics.

Every object that is created needs to be destroyed. There is a very tiny exception to the rule and that is if you are basically writing your own memory manager. But I doubt that is the case here.

What are you trying to accomplish? Why don't you want your destructor to get called?

ok... so... is it possible to push_back pointer to "temp" (create temp using some_class *temp = new some_class;) in array?
Perhaps push the memory contained within an std::tr1::shared_ptr onto the vector but set it's deleter function to a function that does nothing.

array.push(std::tr1::shared_ptr<some_class>(new temp(), std::tr1::bind(std::tr1::placeholders::_1, nullFunc));

void nullFunc(some_class* unused)
{
  // do nothing...
}

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

I think I will try to solve my problem another way... I don't want to make it messy. But thanks for help ;)

Whoever decreased my rep, I am hoping you did so for the nullFunc stuff rather than the std::tr1::shared_ptr because although that looks messy, it is pretty standard C++.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
There are many things you could do, like having a container of pointers, a container of smart pointers or a Boost pointer container. But unless we know what you are trying to do and why it is a problem that the destructor is being called, we can't really give you much advice.

Whoever decreased my rep, I am hoping you did so for the nullFunc stuff rather than the std::tr1::shared_ptr because although that looks messy, it is pretty standard C++.

It's probably because of the misspelled "its". smile.png

ok... so... is it possible to push_back pointer to "temp" (create temp using some_class *temp = new some_class;) in array?

Sure, you can create a std::vector<some_class *>, and then push pointers into it instead. Just remember to delete each one when you are actually done with it.

You can also use std::shared_ptr, or (from C++11 onwards) std::unique_ptr, to avoid having to remember to delete the objects in the end.

But I'm curious: how much work is this destructor doing, that you are so adamant to avoid calling it? In general, a copyable class should do very little work in its destructor (and if your class isn't meant to be copyable, well, then you need to take the pointer approach to start with).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement