Card Kingdoms ( A CCG/TCG In Development)

Started by
12 comments, last by powerneg 11 years, 2 months ago

Card Kingdoms (Name not official at this time) is a new card game in development. After spending around 6 months on the project writing rules, tweaking gameplay, and just generally screwing around, I have decided to post the semi-finished idea online for feedback.

The game is a medieval fantasy style card game, I do not wish to contain any modern or futuristic elements. While this game is a TCG, it is played with a mat, with specific places to place cards.

(Map Image will be posted soon enough)

On the map there are 7 places to play building cards ( See -Card Details- Below), and the goal is to have one of your buildings on every place. The gameplay consists of many rounds of the card game to complete the actual game. The fighting consists of fighting for the slots for buildings, with each players life for that round equal to the building they are defending or the building they are attacking from.

-Cards and Decks-

There are 2 Decks for each player in the game.

1 - Your Kingdom deck

2 - Your Battle deck

Your Kingdom deck consists of 60 Cards

10 Building cards

10 Supply cards

10 Mechanical(Trap) Cards

30 Open slots for customization( you may only add Mechanical/supply/building cards in these slots)

Your battle deck consists of 60 cards

Any number of the 3 battle cards

- Character/monster

- Equipment

- Magic

-Card Details-

1 - Breaking down the cards

Kingdom Deck

Your Building cards are the cards you will play on building slots on the map.

Buildings are what players use to represent their health in battle. Battle commences when one Building declare an attack on another and war begins.

Your supply cards will help you in using other cards.

Supply cards must be Tributed in order to use mechanical cards( Unless the card says otherwise)

Supply cards are used to play Equipment cards( Unless it says otherwise)

Supply cards can be used to summon High level characters to the field without the need to tribute

Mechanical/Trap cards can be put down pre-emptively for use during battle. Acting somewhat like "Yu-Gi-Oh" Trap cards, they can be activated at any time when your opponent performs and action. The effects can be harmful for your opponent, helpful for you, harmful for both ETC.

Battle Deck

Character/Monster cards

Character/Monster cards are used for fighting other Card and destroying buildings.

The stats on the card are -

Health - The amount of punishment the card can take before being destroyed

Attack - How much damage you can dish out

Defense - How much damage you can negate

Tier - What level it is and how much of a tribute it costs to play this card

Effects - An effect that the card can use.

Equipment cards

Can be equipped to Characters/Monsters to give them a boost

The parts of the card are

Name - Name of Equipment

Tier - Level of equipment and supplies required to use it.

Effects - What stats it affects and how much it adds/subtracts from the stats

Magic Cards

Can be played to affect the game

Parts of the card

Name - Name of spell

Tier - Level of spell

Effects - The effects of the spell card

-Gameplay-

Starting

Each player draws 5 cards from their kingdoms deck and 9 cards from their battle deck.

The Supplies and building cards drawn are placed in their respective piles and trap cards are added to the battle hand.

Each player claims their side of the battlefield and places one building down on the starting slot, this becomes your home building.

Passive stage

During this stage, there is no battling going on.

Phase 1 - Draw

Draw 3 cards from your kingdoms deck

If you receive a supplies card, place it in your supply pile

If you receive a building, put it in your blueprints pile

If you receive a trap place it in your kingdoms hand

Phase 2 - Building

During this phase you may place one building down at the cost of supplies, and place as many traps as you want at the cost of supplies

Phase 3 - Attack

You may declare an attack on a building during this turn, which initiates the Offensive stage.

END

(Note: The first player that goes may not Attack or lay down traps on the first turn)

(Second Note: When supplies are used up, they are shuffled back into your Kingdoms deck)

Offensive Stage

Phase 1 - Draw

Draw a card from your Battle deck

Phase 2 - Main Phase

During this phase, you may summon cards to the field, play equipment, and use spells and effects.

Phase 3 - Battle Phase

During this phase you may attack and use the effects of your Character/Monster cards.

You may not attack a players building directly if there are Characters/Monsters on your enemies field.

If a monster is destroyed, the owner of that monster looses 100 life on their building.

Phase 4 - Secondary Phase

This Phase is used to activate any Magic cards and other effects.

END

The game is over when a persons home base is destroyed

-Places on the Game board-

Passive

Map -

7 slots on the game board where buildings can be placed, these slots are fought over and the goal is to slowly move your way to the enemies Home base.

Blueprints - Where your buildings are stored until you play them on the field

Supply pile - Where supplies are placed while not used

Rift - When cards are removed from play you place them here.

Discard Pile - Where used and destroyed cards are kept

Offensive

Front lines - Where your Characters/Monsters are placed

Library - Where you spells are placed down, there are 4 slots here meaning you can only have 4 spells at one time

Trapped land - Right behind the front lines, where trap cards are kept.

Discard pile - Where used cards from your battle deck are kept.

(AT THE END OF EACH BATTLE, RESHUFFLE YOUR ENTIRE BATTLE DECK EXCEPT FOR CARDS IN THE RIFT. Discarded cards from your battle deck are re-used in the next battle, they are never truly gone unless they are put in the rift.)

-END-

And that is the rough draft of the official rules(Its still in HEAVY progress)

Feel free to leave suggestions and feedback, I will provide images of the map and cards as soon as I can.

Advertisement

Looks like you have and are putting a lot of work into the design of the actual game play and that is always a good thing. One question arose while I was reading through the rules and that is what happens with only partial damage is dealt to a creature or building card? You mention that both have health, attack and defense, will it be suggested or required that players keep a running tally of partial health values of the various assets on the field? That is to say, if Player A attacks Player B. Player A's attack force has an attack of 100, Player B's creature has defense of 50 and a health of 100, should the player's make note and keep track that Player B's creature is now down to 50 health or is the attack considered ineffective? You'll excuse me I'm more of a video game player and never really got in to all the card games sorry if this is one of those "duh" questions.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

Hmm, I like the idea and I might comment more on the design/concept but I have one problem with your post. I have a tendancy to write long post myself so the length isn't the problem in what I'm about to say. You're post is a bit hard to read. Try organizing/formatting it a bit more, would be easier to concentrate on.

So about the customized cards in the deck, are those personal collectible cards? How do players gain access to those?

looks interesting, a few questions though:
1) if i own three buildings in this game, can all three be attacked or only the "front"-building ?
2) am i correct to assume that combat "just ends" without there be any need of any creature/building being destroyed ?
3) am i also correct to assume that there is no retaliation during combat ?(i mean in standard combat, i assume you also apply the rule "if any card contradicts the rules the card wins" but let's make that question 4 :P )
5) are supply-cards purely a resource with no specific rules on them ?

I do think your game would be better explained if you just gave an example of a turn with cards using all the features.

Seems to be well thought out, and the description was fairly easy to follow considering that it is text only. I'm sure that seeing your board design would answer this, but:

Is there any spatial element to building placement? You could lay out your game board such that buildings are only connected to those adjacent to them, forcing players to expand across the "map" rather than giving them a free choice of building slots. This could add another level of strategy blocking paths to key buildings by putting a defensive building between them and the attacker etc). I suspect you're not going in this direction, however.

looks interesting, a few questions though:
1) if i own three buildings in this game, can all three be attacked or only the "front"-building ?

2) am i correct to assume that combat "just ends" without there be any need of any

creature/building being destroyed ?

3) am i also correct to assume that there is no retaliation during combat ?(i mean in standard combat, i assume you also apply the rule "if any card contradicts the rules the card wins" but let's make that question 4 tongue.png )

5) are supply-cards purely a resource with no specific rules on them ?

I do think your game would be better explained if you just gave an example of a turn with cards using all the features.

Your front building is the building being attacked. Your opponent mush
push you back to your main building and then destroy that to win. Your
opponent may not simply jump forward and attack your home base.

All creatures and building have life, which is kept track of with damage counters sort of like Pokemon( To give an example)

Could you elaborate on this a bit more please

There are two types of resource cards.

Normal - 1 Resource/Tribute

Lucky - 2 Resource/Tribute( You may only have up to 6 of these in your deck

Ill get to work on a mock game style thing.

Looks like you have and are putting a lot of work into the design of the actual game play and that is always a good thing. One question arose while I was reading through the rules and that is what happens with only partial damage is dealt to a creature or building card? You mention that both have health, attack and defense, will it be suggested or required that players keep a running tally of partial health values of the various assets on the field? That is to say, if Player A attacks Player B. Player A's attack force has an attack of 100, Player B's creature has defense of 50 and a health of 100, should the player's make note and keep track that Player B's creature is now down to 50 health or is the attack considered ineffective? You'll excuse me I'm more of a video game player and never really got in to all the card games sorry if this is one of those "duh" questions.

You will keep track of health with Damage counters like Pokemon(To give an example) A rule i forgot to mention and should add is that When you attack a monster, its your attack vs their defense, and if their defense is higher than your attack, you hit 10 health.

I will post a list of cards i have been working on soon, but its just the file with the columns filled out, no artwork.

Seems
to be well thought out, and the description was fairly easy to follow
considering that it is text only. I'm sure that seeing your board design
would answer this, but:

Is there any spatial element to building
placement? You could lay out your game board such that buildings are
only connected to those adjacent to them, forcing players to expand
across the "map" rather than giving them a free choice of building
slots. This could add another level of strategy blocking paths to key
buildings by putting a defensive building between them and the attacker
etc). I suspect you're not going in this direction, however.

Actually, this is what i was going for, but not necessarily a board, but a premade map. There would be pathways to follow and you could only attack a building on the pathway closest to you with your building.

Say there are 5 slots

1-2-3-4-5

If i have buildings on slots 1 through 3, and my opponent has a building on slot 5, he can only attack slot 4, because it is in his way along the path to my main building at slot 1. If that makes sense.

Well, basically my question is when an (attacking) creature attacks a (defending) creature, will only the defending creature receive damage from the attacking creature or will the attacking creature also receive damage from the defending creature ?

Well, basically my question is when an (attacking) creature attacks a (defending) creature, will only the defending creature receive damage from the attacking creature or will the attacking creature also receive damage from the defending creature ?

Well the way it works is that when an attacking monster attacks the defending monster, its the attacking monsters attack verses the defending monsters defense.

After the attack monster attacks, if the defending monster is not killed, it has one chance to retaliate, in which case its the defending monsters attack versus the attacking monsters defense. (sorry, might be a bit confusing)

Im thinking about making it go back and forth until one dies, but im not sure yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement