creating a flashlight in XNA

Started by
4 comments, last by Gavin Williams 11 years, 2 months ago

Hi all

I have finished reading the XNA Game Studio 2nd Edition and, having read the chapter covering lighting systems, I am having trouble figuring out how to create a "basic" flashlight in XNA 3.1 (though I am currently reading Learning XNA 4.0) right now.

I have tried tweaking the code and have been able to make the light used in the chapter example bright and dimmer, but haven't been able to dim the ambient light nor been able to "focus" the light into a beam shape.

I am currently coding using XNA 4.0 and VC# 2010.

Thanks for helping this old gamer/programmer!

Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
Advertisement
Can you be more specific about your game? For a start, is this 2D or 3D?

This is not for a game persay, just tweaking the code found in the book. I was trying to change it so that the light used in the example is more focues like a flashlight beam. I don't have access to the code used in the chapter at the moment, but can post it as soon as practicle.

The code is 3D as the author has created a camera system and is demonstarting the use of lighting by having a light follow the movement of the camera.

So a spotlight ?

Ya, I guess spotlight would be the best way to describe it.

Something similiar to the flashlight effect in say Slenderman or any other of the horror-survial-at-night genre of games.

Basically it's just a spot-light, you can do more fancy texture projections or more complex lighting equations to give interesting variations..

Compute the dot product of the light-pixel vector and the light-target vector. Then you can use that to produce a light-cone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement