• Advertisement

Anyone here a self-taught graphics programmer?

Well, no degree nor ID here. I am a self teaching enthusiast. I read the standards and specifications of the technologies I want to comply or implement. It takes me months to accomplish things that would take others a weekend...I like taking it easy.

I do it as a hobby, I'm a burgerflipper, I live under limited conditions but at least I have access to the Internet. Programming a game engine is the only way I can keep my mind busy because it is an extremely hard challenge. It's an unusual but fun hobby.

Advertisement

I'm a completely self-taught programmer. I started with programming on my Commodore C64 (from around the age of 10, I think), where I learnt the BASIC language and the most important programming principles like variables, branching, arrays, loops etc. And also binary numbers and binary operations (AND, OR etc.) because of how often do you have to use those famous POKE and PEEK commands on C64. My only sources of information were the user manual of C64 (it was a completely different manual than nowadays, it contained also a very good BASIC reference book with sample codes) and a book I got back then (no Internet, of course).

Later when I switched to 286 and DOS, I stayed with BASIC (QBASIC). Then Visual Basic 6 and all those .NET versions.

I started with C++ quite at the same time as with DirectX 9 and it was quite late - what I was beginning my Ph.D. studies in Robotics (at 2004, age of 24). My sources were some books (Frank Luna) and the Internet, inluciding the gamedev.net forums (as you can see, I registered around that time).

I'm partly using programming and DirectX in my job, but I'm not strictly a programmer. It's been my hobby for all the time.

Edited by Tom KQT