Sign in to follow this  
NxLeaf

start a topic about rts game development

My teammates and I are working on a rts online game likes the Age of Empires.
And now,I just wanna find out somebody's are also do the same thing.
Lets talk about the AI,pathfinding,dynamic obstacle avoidance etc.
Even more,We can also discuss something about the editors for rts game. Such as the level editor,unit editor,object editor,skill(abilities)editor etc.
Come on guys,I am still waiting here looking forward to your reply.....

Hi,

I’m new here, and this is my first post.

I’m also in to rts game programming and have been working on my own rts game.

I don’t know anything about any commercial or freeware level editors, but I’m working on designs for other game aspects.  Unit AI, game control GUIs, message and event
systems, exc.  There’s so much to do but it’s interesting work.

Looking forward to discussing rts programming.

rtwilli

If you're looking ot make an RTS game, have you looked at some of the foss engines already available? SpringRTS or MegaGlest?

They become more flexible and modable with each release and you'll save yourself thousands of hours of work that people have already done for you.

Doing an RTS, your two biggest technical challenges are probably going to be:

1. Efficient pathfinding for large numbers of units.

2. If you're planning to do lockstep multiplayer, which is common for RTS games (but not the only option), keeping your simulation free of anything which can cause a desynchronisation between players. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

however if you need random number generation you could probably just perform that on the host and send that to the clients. Or should this be avoided all together?

. This means not letting frame time, random number generators or floating point precision differences between processors cause any determinism issues.

however if you need random number generation you could probably just perform that on the host and send that to the clients. Or should this be avoided all together?

If you're doing lockstep multiplayer the trick is to share the random number seed that you'll use for the game (in the same way you'd share the map that's been chosen) and make sure that the RNG you use for the simulation is separate from the RNG you use for particle effects and anything else that could potentially be frame-rate or system dependent.