Microsoft says, "DX is not an evolving technology". What the hell does that mean?

Started by
19 comments, last by HonestDuane 11 years, 2 months ago

XNA axed (duh) and DX tech not evolving.

What exactly does that mean? According to the article, neither XNA nor DX MVPs will be given in the future. Does this mean that DX as an API and hardware standard is dying or dead? Is MS going to embrace OGL? Will neither of those APIs be available anymore?

DX MVPs or gurus especially, just what is going on?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Click through to their linked source blog, which is Promit BTW, and he explains:

I think some of it is poorly worded. The most stunning part of it was this: “DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology.” That is a phrase I did not expect to hear from Microsoft. Before going to “the sky is falling” proclamations, I don’t think this is a death sentence for DirectX, per se. It conveys two things. Number one, DirectX outside of Direct3D is completely dead. I hope this is not a shock to you. Number two, it’s a reminder that Direct3D has been absorbed into Windows core, and thus is no more a “technology” than GDI or Winsock.

Like I said, poorly worded.
I think "poorly worded" sums it up.

It certainly doesn't mean DX is "going away" or suddenly become unavaliable thats for sure, if anything it means the reverse as the core APIs (3D/2D) basically form the basis of the OS's rendering ability at this point so need to remain stable so that in the future they can be relied upon (much how Win32 has been around 'forever').

As Promit says in a follow up blog to this it doesn't mean we should all 'jump ship' to OpenGL; while OpenGL is getting better it still uses the pants-on-head retarded bind-to-edit model which needed to die in a fire some time ago and would have done if the ARB hadn't bungled OGL3/Longs Peak 5 years back. In fact events like that (and the whole 'OpenCL can be our compute language!' garbage) mean that even after this news has come out I STILL have more trust in MS to do the right thing than I do the ARB with regards to 3D tech.

Of course, and this is purely speculation you understand, the fact that 'DX is no longer evolving' could mean that there are other things going on behind the scenes. Recently the spotlight was pointed at D3D and the Windows driver model with regards to how much overhead there is per draw call so maybe there are plans afoot for a new API which mitigates some or all of those problems in conjuntion with AMD/NV/Intel?
( I admit this is basically wishful thinking on my part but I can dream right? ;) )

(much how Win32 has been around 'forever').

UNTIL NOW! /skyfalling

I am quite certain there is going to be something to replace XNA for new Microsoft console, but maybe under different name. My understanding is that XNA served as a tool to get indie developers to get in multi platform development and xbox 360 platform.

Is Microsoft going to embrace OpenGL? Probably not, why would they? They already have directx quite fur in advancement since it begin. Xbox 360 is going to be replaced with new console so entire XBLA thing and old XBOX related stuff is going to naturally be replaced and die out.

While it is true that only D3D stuff is still valid there is nothing preventing microsoft to update stuff like DirectInput, DirectSound and the other parts and release it as next version of DirectX. 'DX is no longer evolving' is crap, I would classify this as FUD rumor.

I'm glad there's finally an article with references that I can point people to and say "Yes, XNA is dead (as in no longer being developed or maintained by MS)" (which we all knew, and there are things suggesting this (like some posts on Promit's blog), but I like that I can finally link to something that says it clearly, concisely, and bluntly)

The interesting thing about that article? It has the following:

However, a Microsoft spokesperson said that there are no plans to discontinue the DirectX for its Windows and Xbox platforms.

“Microsoft is actively investing in DirectX as the unified graphics foundation for all of our platforms, including Windows, Xbox 360, and Windows Phone,” the spokesperson said.

“DirectX is evolving and will continue to evolve. We have absolutely no intention of stopping innovation with DirectX.”

I'm not entirely sure how to reconcile that with the earlier statement "DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology." I didn't think they'd completely axe DirectX (or more specifically, I didn't think they'd axe D3D), but there seems to be some conflicting statements about whether or not it's evolving. Perhaps what they're really trying to say is "DirectX (as a whole) is not evolving, but D3D (a specific part of DirectX) is, so we're going to trim the stagnant limbs (the 'dead' parts of DirectX) and focus on evolving the healthy heart (D3D)." I think that's a sensible interpretation, given the Microsoft spokespwerson said "...DirectX as the unified graphics foundation..." (sounds like only D3D is really the important part to me, the other parts are not (at least not explicitly stated in the quote) being actively invested in). Or perhaps the first statement was just piss-poor wording and misleading.

They really just need to rip D3D out of DirectX and kill DirectX so we can stop pretending like DirectX is D3D and vice versa.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

DX was tied to the PC, the PC has stopped evolving. The rise of DX from 2D->3D was heralded by the advent of affordable 3D chips ,etc.. the DX libraries just reflect their underlying hardware. If Microsoft is moving to a mutli-modal world where Windows runs on touch tablets, phones, set-top boxes, consoles and PC u would think they would more than ever invest in DX and it's evolution. Integrate touch gestures into DX, Kinect technology, voice commands etc.. there is so much there but I'm not holding out any hope for MS. Like with all MS they will come out with a half baked API for each and make it 10x more difficult than it needs to be. The DX tech was meant to be an umbrella technology to create a portable API which could both grow with the platform and provide backward compatibility and be performant, in that regards it succeeded but that was a different MS, a different time..

They really just need to rip D3D out of DirectX and kill DirectX so we can stop pretending like DirectX is D3D and vice versa.

They've done that already. In the Windows 8 SDK, Direct3D and its hangers-on (Direct2D, DirectComposition, DirectCompute) are part of the platform SDK proper, XInput and XACT too. All the former DirectX technologies that aren't directly related to graphics hardware are either parted out to other frameworks (DirectShow), or are long-since forgotten (DirectDraw, DirectPlay, DirectSound, DirectMusic)--and the last dedicated "DirectX SDK shipped in June of 2010 AFAIK.

They couldn't kill "DirectX" any harder if they dumped another clip into it.

Direct3D and its friends are safe. DirectX is dead, long live DirectX.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I'm glad there's finally an article with references that I can point people to and say "Yes, XNA is dead (as in no longer being developed or maintained by MS)" (which we all knew, and there are things suggesting this (like some posts on Promit's blog), but I like that I can finally link to something that says it clearly, concisely, and bluntly)

The interesting thing about that article? It has the following:

However, a Microsoft spokesperson said that there are no plans to discontinue the DirectX for its Windows and Xbox platforms.

“Microsoft is actively investing in DirectX as the unified graphics foundation for all of our platforms, including Windows, Xbox 360, and Windows Phone,” the spokesperson said.

“DirectX is evolving and will continue to evolve. We have absolutely no intention of stopping innovation with DirectX.”

I'm not entirely sure how to reconcile that with the earlier statement "DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology."

The actual statement was "Presently ... DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology" (my emphasis). It's interesting that so many have missed (or chosen to ignore) the "presently" part.

Here's my take on it.

We are now entering a period of consolidation. What great GPU capabilities are coming up that would require a new D3D version? Aside from syntactic sugar, what has a new D3D version actually got to offer that we currently don't have? We've got programmable shaders, we've got floating point thoughout the pipeline, we've got good multithreaded support, we've got GPGPU. What else is missing in the current rendering paradigms?

On the other hand, MS have been in a position where they've had 3 3D APIs on the go - PC D3D, 360 whatever-it-is and XNA. That's quite a bit of unnecessary overhead and duplication, and with a new console generation coming up, now seems a good time to call a halt to independent (and potentially divergent) evolutions and begin the process of rolling everything together. This fits quite nicely with the statement that "Microsoft is actively investing in DirectX as the unified graphics foundation for all of our platforms".

I may be wrong but I think I'm right.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

On the other hand, MS have been in a position where they've had 3 3D APIs on the go - PC D3D, 360 whatever-it-is and XNA. That's quite a bit of unnecessary overhead and duplication, and with a new console generation coming up, now seems a good time to call a halt to independent (and potentially divergent) evolutions and begin the process of rolling everything together. This fits quite nicely with the statement that "Microsoft is actively investing in DirectX as the unified graphics foundation for all of our platforms".

I may be wrong but I think I'm right.

But ain't that pretty okay? I mean wouldn't that make everything more easy for small game developers? It would seem like we do not need to spend so much time porting games to consoles then... Or am I wrong here?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement