Game Name - need help

Started by
24 comments, last by ShiftyCake 11 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for all the good advice, guys.

As for the name - the game ships with 3 campaigns, and the name I suggested fits the story of those campaigns (they are about the time when humanity is trying to recover from a catastrophe). After trying to find a general name, and reading some of your advices, we decided to go with a name that fits the campaings we produce, even if players may create new one.

As for marketing stuff - the game is still in early production stages, but our site is almost complete and once it goes live (scheduled for May) it will feature all of the content you mentioned: screenshots, videos, devlog and of course - contact information. I was actually looking for a name so I'd know which url to register...

Advertisement
Inspired off Lailokkens name:
Cosmic Shift

~GTE

With the very limited information given, I can come up with a few names. Although, it does not sound like the game is incredibly deep in terms of story (Although I can't really know for sure). But if that is the case, I would try to keep the name simpler than something like "Genesis: Rise of Man"

You could just go with "Genesis"

Also:

"Shock Point"

"Rift Runners"

etc.

They are all very generic names, but without any pitch for the story, we can't really come up with any custom names.

With the very limited information given, I can come up with a few names. Although, it does not sound like the game is incredibly deep in terms of story (Although I can't really know for sure). But if that is the case, I would try to keep the name simpler than something like "Genesis: Rise of Man"

You could just go with "Genesis"

Also:

"Shock Point"

"Rift Runners"

etc.

They are all very generic names, but without any pitch for the story, we can't really come up with any custom names.

the name Shock point is to close the classic game System Shock and Rift runners is also to the famous mmorpg Rift. ?But the name Genesis sounds pretty cool.

~GTE

prima facie

You should also consider the search-ability of your name... Where does you site rank when searching for "Genesis" vs. another, less common, name for example.

You should also consider the search-ability of your name... Where does you site rank when searching for "Genesis" vs. another, less common, name for example.

Amadeus makes a great point. This is something I think about too when naming a game. Sometimes it can be a good thing, but other times not so much. As Amadeus suggested, Genesis will probably return a ton of results in a search, but are they going to be looking for a computer game, or perhaps something Bible related?

If your goal is site ranking then you may do okay by piggy-backing off a well known name, even if the subject matter of that well known name has nothing to do with your game. Then again, people aren't wild about being misdirected and ending up on a site that has nothing to do with what they were searching for.

The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision --Helen Keller

https://lailokken.wordpress.com/

The easiest way to find a game name is thinking up numerous amounts of them with your group, rather then focusing on finding one, and picking the one that your team agrees on.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

My name is Shay Yizhak and I'm CEO and Lead Programmer for a new indie game studio New Retro Studio. Currently, we're working on our first game, and despite having all of its design finished months ago, we have yet to find it a proper name. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

Welcome to the hardest part of building a game, coming up with a cool name for it.

Much will depend on it. Your customers will recognize you by that name, not by your company name usually.

Your web presence and marketing will all be built around it and what you can do with it.

and of course you need it to be catchy, etc, etc.

Your decision to base it on the story line of the campaigns is what i would have recommended.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

"Written in the Stars"

You're welcome ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement