iterator list corrupted (with alt-F4 only)

Started by
9 comments, last by EWClay 11 years, 2 months ago
hi
if i close my game with alt-f4 i get "iterator list corrupted". I do not get this error if i close the game by manually stopping the main loop (user presses "quit program" or whatever from within the program). Also this error is not produced in release build (even alt-f4 is ok in release i mean).

What can this be about?

Im using hge engine with mvc++ 2008 on 64bits windows 7 (game is 32 bit though)...

Thanks
erik
Advertisement

Should you really be closing an application down with alt-f4 anyway? :)

If it's only happening from within visual studio then maybe the debugger simply doesn't like to quit by alt-f4? I'd recommend setting up maybe the Esc key to quit so your application can close gracefully.

What can this be about?

How are you handling WM_CLOSE? Also, what about WM_QUIT and WM_DESTROY? How are you cleaning up code? How are you exiting your program when these messages are sent?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Should you really be closing an application down with alt-f4 anyway? smile.png

If it's only happening from within visual studio then maybe the debugger simply doesn't like to quit by alt-f4? I'd recommend setting up maybe the Esc key to quit so your application can close gracefully.

Not a good idea to ignore the problem. Alt-F4 has the same effect as pressing the X on the top right. i.e. it's sending a WM_CLOSE to your WndProc. A lot of users use those ways to close a program.

Ignoring doesn't make a problem go away.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Ignoring doesn't make a problem go away.

I agree, I wasn't suggesting they should ignore it.

The windows messages should be checked to see if there is an issue there. Otherwise memory leaks can do some strange things too. There is an app called Application Verifier that I have found to be very handy in detecting lots of hidden issues. Perhaps it could help here as well.

In response to the people asking about how suliman is handling WM_CLOSE messages, presumably the HGE engine he is using is taking care of that (or maybe it isn't). Suliman, I think in order to better reason about your code, you might want to put it up so we can have a look at it. You could also try asking for help on the HGE engine forums here.
Basically im not cleaning or handling anything. I dont even know how to do that. So probably yes the engine handles something.

BUT...
Ive realized in some times, closing it with ESC also causes error message:
Unhandled exception at XXXXX in game.exe
From std::iterator_base (called by ~unit() so something to do with destruction of a unit object right?)

I should run a function when the program is terminated and check my lists and iterators, but how do i run such a function?

From std::iterator_base (called by ~unit() so something to do with destruction of a unit object right?)

Sounds like you're editing/removing an item from a list/vector past end() in the destructor of the Unit class.

The destructor for unit is empty.

Is there a way to debug what is happening when the program is terminated? Or to write the function to deal with what is supposed to happen at termination?

Thanks

Erik

Just put a breakpoint on the final '}' in the main routine and you can step through the C run-time library's exit steps.

> msvcr90.dll!doexit(int code=0, int quick=0, int retcaller=0)  Line 519 C
  msvcr90.dll!exit(int code=0)  Line 412 + 0xc bytes C
  ValleyOfNeustria.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 549 C
  kernel32.dll!@BaseThreadInitThunk@12()  + 0x12 bytes 
  ntdll.dll!___RtlUserThreadStart@8()  + 0x27 bytes 
  ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart@8()  + 0x1b bytes 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement