Software Selection Advice

Started by
2 comments, last by lilrooness 11 years, 2 months ago

Good afternoon, I am starting out and looking for feedback on what software to use to build my game design.

I am building a game that can be most accurately described as a Pokemon clone (one of the old ones, like Pokemon Red). All of the content will be original, but the graphic complexity and the mechanics will basically be identical to the old Pokemon games.

There will be no more than 6 screens:
Title Screen.
Simple slide shows of still images for story exposition.
World map (similar to Golden Sun, just walking between towns, where random encounters happen)
Towns & Dungeons (talk to npcs, random encounters, similar to Pokemon games)
Battles (turn based, similar to Pokemon battles, but will use 3 creatures vs 3 creatures at a time).
Menus (where player can save, load, see creature stats, select which creatures participate in battles).

What do you believe would be the most suitable software / engine / language to build this in from the ground up?

If I am aiming to initially release it on Stream, Xbox Live and Windows, does that limit me to C++?

If you require any further info to best inform your answers please ask, as I have pretty much the entire design worked out. Thank you for your time.
Advertisement

Got_Rhythm, on 03 Feb 2013 - 22:49, said:
Good afternoon, I am starting out and looking for feedback on what software to use to build my game design.

I am building a game that can be most accurately described as a Pokemon clone (one of the old ones, like Pokemon Red). All of the content will be original, but the graphic complexity and the mechanics will basically be identical to the old Pokemon games.

There will be no more than 6 screens:
Title Screen.
Simple slide shows of still images for story exposition.
World map (similar to Golden Sun, just walking between towns, where random encounters happen)
Towns & Dungeons (talk to npcs, random encounters, similar to Pokemon games)
Battles (turn based, similar to Pokemon battles, but will use 3 creatures vs 3 creatures at a time).
Menus (where player can save, load, see creature stats, select which creatures participate in battles).

What do you believe would be the most suitable software / engine / language to build this in from the ground up?

If I am aiming to initially release it on Stream, Xbox Live and Windows, does that limit me to C++?

If you require any further info to best inform your answers please ask, as I have pretty much the entire design worked out. Thank you for your time.

Without a devkit for the xbox360 that pretty much limits you to C# and XNA.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Hello- due to recently learning that XNA is no longer receiving MS support, let's assume I am no longer aiming for the Xbox market, does that change people's answers at all?
This doesn't necessarily limit you just to C++. If you were to go down the less coding rout and use a pre - made engine such as Unity3d you could still release for steam, xbox360 and windows, it makes it really easy to build for multiple platforms (even mobile devices).

The free version is good, but its limited in the rendering effects you can access, and the amount of standard assets that you get supplied with.

As you said you were thinking about not targeting the Xbox360, you could think about using Java. The Light Weight Java Game Library (lwjgl) allows you to handle rendering (opengl), input, and assets like sound, images, all with one library.
http://www.lwjgl.org/

Also, I don't know much about it at all, but if your looking for a 2D rendering system, you may want to check out Slick2D. This one is also a Java library.
http://www.slick2d.org/

Also if you choose to use C++, there is still a big choice as to what rendering engine you will use.
Good ones to start thinking about are DirectX (for windows and Xbox360 exclusively), Ogre3D and OpenGL.
(This list is not exhaustive, There are many more!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement