Time Bank

Started by
5 comments, last by MatthewMorigeau 11 years, 2 months ago

As a response to the other topic "Increasing development activity through GDnet" I'd like to suggest a time bank that would enable everyone to offer an alternate currency to encourage development. The details should probably be discussed as to the functionality of this idea, but something I would suggest is a negative interest rate over the stretch of the year, this would be for hours earned to ensure people cannot horde hours and encourage development of games. With the time sensitivity of a negative interest rate, the incentive to spend earned hours helps push development.

This could be a powerful tool for all digital developers beyond gaming however starting with gamedev is useful since so many designers here are looking for help and often have nothing to offer in return, offering a monetized sum of hours allows a designers to pay developers with something many of us covet and encourages them to earn hours by offering their own skills. This would work well along side the reputation rating since a person can also be rated based on their banked or owing hours.

Advertisement

Can you explain more? I've got no clue what a "time bank" is or how it would work (or how I'd use it)...

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This would be an account of earned or payed hours of digital development work. Here is a bit of sourced info on the topic.

If a programmer needs a few hours of art complete they would post what they were looking for and how many hours they're willing to pay for it. Many artists could apply for the job, and the programmer could then choose an artist. The work is done and the programmer "pays" the artist. The programmer will be deducted hours in this case -3hours and the artist earns +3hours banked at the gamedev site.

The programmer would have to offer 3 hours of programming to someone else or some other service they can offer to pay back the hours they owe and the artist could use the 3 hours she has earned to work on another project or if she owes hours then these hours could work towards paying back the amount she owes.

The only controversial aspect is if you feel your hours are somehow worth more then someone else.

I hope this helps :D

The wikipedia article is actually pretty interesting. (i.e. thanks for derailing my morning Mratthew ...) Isn't there a problem in that not all hours are created equal in terms of effort and sacrifice? In our case, for example, an hour of fixing memory leaks in newbie C++ != an hour play-testing someone's nearly finished game.

It's an interesting idea and I don't mean to impede creativity, but I would worry that it'd become a distraction. And for some, even a goal in itself to simply earn "points" endlessly for "that big project" (which may never start) rather than encourage a less formal cooperative online community. The "reputation" thing here is more than enough "score-keeping" for me personally. The Wiki article warns about overhead/cost of keeping it running, and that's another thing that makes me hesitant.

If all you want to do is encourage development projects, I put an alternate type of suggestion (less "gamey", no pun intended, and more "gamedev") I dubbed a "team-building/matchmaking" service, similar to the old neverwinterconnections.com site. (That site was used to match up various Neverwinter Nights players and GMs with similar interests and play styles to allow groups of people to form small gaming circles.) If it's modeled after the NWC system, that moves some "overhead" to the community sort of like a rating or online review website. (Ex. If a ranking system is needed, use a rating system like "Would you work with this person again?", "This person was particularly creative.", "This developer was dedicated and motivated." etc.)

I tried to describe it loosely here, for what it's worth:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/636615-gamedevnet-2013-what-do-you-want-to-see-from-the-site/page-3#entry5028247

I'm sorry mate, but i just don't see it working. their are numerous problems, most notably is difference's in skill/capability's, not screwing up projects by accident(such as inducing more bugs by trying to help and fix another bug.). people abusing the system(how do you monitor that their work is actually equal to one time hour, what is the baseline of skill, perhaps you could say "implementing x function = y hours").

at the end of the day, you need a strong community to be willing to do it, and this is not to knock gamedev, but i don't see that particular type of community here. that is not to say it isn't a selfish community or something, but it's to say that people are more interested in their own project's than to help with someone else's in the hopes that it'll be "paid" in turn for their project.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

That's a shame.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement