Germiz an HTML5 puzzle game

Started by
3 comments, last by Ezelia 11 years, 2 months ago

This is a game I just released http://germiz.ezelia.com

You incarnate a micro-organism and have to survive by duplicating and infecting other cells.

antibodies are your ennemies and they'll try to eliminate you .

affiche-virus.jpg

the game is inspired from Hex and Go games, but with some additions that makes it different : for example the micro-organism you control can mutate to acquire new capabilities ...

here is a gameplay video

">

as you can see, the game is still in beta stage with 15 playable levels ...

levels from 1 to 10 are realy easy and are here to familiarize you with gameplay the real challenge starts after level 10.

comments and suggestion to enhance the game are welcome smile.png

to play the game follow this link : http://germiz.ezelia.com

Advertisement

Really nice.

How did you go about the sound effects? It looks like maybe you've just accepted higher latency and no mixing, and gone with the audio tag maybe? I'd really like to do a faster-paced HTML5 game, but a decent audio solution (that works across browsers) is not yet there.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thank you for your comment Ravyne :)

I used buzzjs library for the sound effects, this library is excellent but was not supporting multi-channel ... so I contributed to the project with a pull request to add multichannel (you can grab the patched version here https://github.com/alaa-eddine/buzz since the pull request is not approved yet ).

now if you want to write fast HTML5 games, use audio tag without any shim or hack to support older browsers ... afterall you are doing an HTML5 games not an HTML4-transitional game :D . if all developers do that, they'll push users to move to new browsers witch support native and faster HTML5 features ;)

Nice work bro!

Question - should requests for both mp3 and ogg files for every sound be sent?

For example - I'm seeing multiple requests for:

blip.mp3 and blip.ogg

intro.mp3 and intro.ogg

etc.

I doubt that is expected.

I think you can speed up the load time considerably if you switched to base64 audio. You could literally pack all your audio into one JavaScript file (which could be gzipped), so it would be one request that would be cached on the user's computer. I don't know how well it works on tablets or phones, but I've used this trick successfully with many audio elements in games.

Thank you for you comment :)

sure I can optimise the loading time ! the sound library I'm using load all available formats to ensure compatibility but this can be enhanced by detecting browser supported audio format before requesting ...

now about the loading process, all needed files are preloaded in the first screen, then when a new resource is requested, the browser should check it's cache first so he doesn't load it again from server.
packing all sound in one file is also a good solution I used for another project but then found it harder to maintain :) ... I can't justify my choice to preload then request sounds, it's juste like this :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement