Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qorthos

Writing to a dynamic vertex buffer

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm currently instancing a set of primitives (cubes, spheres, etc) with modulo arithmetic and I'm having wit the DataStream.WriteRange<> method.

I'm using this to write to the InstanceBuffer:

DataStream dsInstances = instanceBuffer.Map(MapMode.WriteDiscard, SlimDX.Direct3D10.MapFlags.None);

if (instancesStart + instancesCount < instancesMax)
            {
                dsInstances.Position = instancesStart;
                dsInstances.WriteRange<VertexPrimitiveInstance>(instances, instancesStart, instancesCount);
            }
            else
            {
                dsInstances.Position = instancesStart;
                dsInstances.WriteRange<VertexPrimitiveInstance>(instances, instancesStart, instancesMax - instancesStart);

dsInstances.Position = 0;
                dsInstances.WriteRange<VertexPrimitiveInstance>(instances, 0, instancesCount - (instancesMax - instancesStart));
            }

instanceBuffer.Unmap();

I see nothing the first loop around from 0 to InstancesMax.  However, I start seeing my objects once I've written all values to the buffer at least once.  Then I get some very strange flicker and occasionally deformed geometry.

If I change the above to write the entire array of VertexPrimitiveInstances to the buffer, I get no flicker.

DataStream dsInstances = instanceBuffer.Map(MapMode.WriteDiscard, SlimDX.Direct3D10.MapFlags.None);

dsInstances.Position = 0;
            dsInstances.WriteRange<VertexPrimitiveInstance>(instances);

instanceBuffer.Unmap();

I presume that the second method is far slower than the first (if if worked) and is thus undesirable.  Am I using WriteRange wrong, or am I wrong in thinking I should only set the vertices that are changing (like I did in XNA)?

Edited by qorthos

Mapping with WRITE_DISCARD invalidates the contents of the buffer, so you'll have to update the entire buffer as you do in the second method.
You're effectively given a new buffer, which avoids stalls when the GPU is still using the resource. Edited by eppo

Mapping with WRITE_DISCARD invalidates the contents of the buffer, so you'll have to update the entire buffer as you do in the second method.
You're effectively given a new buffer, which avoids stalls when the GPU is still using the resource.

Right, and I think I'm okay with doing.  The vertices that I'm setting in the first method are the only vertices that I'm trying to drawn that frame.

Hah, setting DataStream.Position sets the byte location to write at, I was using the index in the array.  I need to multiply the position by the size of the instance.