My GDD

Started by
33 comments, last by GeneralQuery 11 years, 2 months ago

I mailed it to myself and got it today so that's why I am posting it. Not saying my idea is best, but people will steal when they can.

Just so you know, this means nothing. Mailing something to yourself does not prove anything, it's kind of a "legal urban myth" to believe it does.
it will work as a legal stabding. S. King did it. So will i
Advertisement
If you have details like this in a GDD, they need to be backed up with descriptions of two things:
  • What the intended gameplay effect of each number/etc. is - why does this weapon work this way, versus that one? Why three mags instead of five or two? And so on. Anything with specific numbers or details needs justification from a design standpoint.
  • All alternatives you have explored - if you have a 3 in your doc, you should explain what testing you have done with 2, or 7, instead; explain why those alternatives do (or do not) reach the design goals as covered above. If you cannot do this, you have not designed a game - you have written an arbitrary drama. Do not fake this, either. Actually implement design changes and see how they play.
A GDD should not have solid numbers in it unless you are already done polishing that area of the game. From the discussion here it sounds like you've got a lot of premature decisions made and no explanation of them. As a designer reading your doc, this strikes me as very risky. I should be able to look at any design decision in the doc and understand exactly what motivated it and why it is optimal for your purposes.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Ill be working on that. I'll ask myself ecer question I can and answer it. Again thank you.

I'll rewrite the rape scene. Try not to make it known to the player. But I cant scrap it. The baby plays a keyrole at the end. I
the thing is though for the assault is she has been delaying all his plans. Not to mention she is chained up. I can upload the story if you want

That's really still falling into the same trap. I strongly recommend you research the topic far more thoroughly and/or drop it altogether. Start by reading that Tomb Raider article linked above. Notice how much heat that AAA game - backed by a big publisher - is taking for doing the same thing in their game. And they're not even touching pregnancy, which is its own extremely serious issue in sci fi/fantasy fiction (which is often handled incorrectly). To be perfectly frank, the only reason the Tomb Raider team got that atrocity through the publisher is that they're an established team with an established IP.

It really swings far, far afield from your hook: a down-and-out mom trying to reunite with her kids in the middle of a zombie apocalypse has a lot of potential for deep character development and exploration: it has a lot of potential as a plot point in its own right.

I mailed it to myself and got it today so that's why I am posting it. Not saying my idea is best, but people will steal when they can.

Just so you know, this means nothing. Mailing something to yourself does not prove anything, it's kind of a "legal urban myth" to believe it does.
it will work as a legal stabding. S. King did it. So will i

It doesn't work. Go and google "does mailing yourself something copyright" and see the landslide of explanations as to why it doesn't work. sad.png

Also, your fears are unfounded. Read this Lost Garden article to assuage your fears. smile.png

The game looks really good but I would never write a 21 page story... Usually to come up with games I make a simple prototype that is fun and playable. Have you started doing anything else except the story? You seem to have went into a lot of detail for a game that doesn't exist yet.

- Jirachex

The game looks really good but I would never write a 21 page story... Usually to come up with games I make a simple prototype that is fun and playable. Have you started doing anything else except the story? You seem to have went into a lot of detail for a game that doesn't exist yet.

- Jirachex

yeah i started working on the engine with a programmer and and a level designer as well as an artist.

I uploaded the story. Not saying I disagree with any of your views as they are all very helpful. But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

So i uploaded the story in the first post....

I uploaded the story. Not saying I disagree with any of your views as they are all very helpful. But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

So i uploaded the story in the first post....

I don't know if it's just Word 2013 screwing it up but you should really look into paragraphs. Everything is just a single line of text.

But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

Respectfully, that is not my assumption. What I'm saying (and, as I've read it, what others here are also saying) is that you could have the most amazing justification for it ever and you should still not put it in your game. It's not appropriate, it's a trauma trigger that could potentially really hurt people you don't know, and - if for no other reason - it will most certainly make it very hard for you to secure a deal with a publisher or even to go indie.

Pick another vector for the cure that does not dehumanize your protagonist by exploiting the sheer fact she has female reproductive parts. She's not a plot device or an incubator. She's a main character and she definitely deserves better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement