Sign in to follow this  
RealityFails

My GDD

RealityFails    155

For the last 6+ months now I've been working on a survival horror video game. I wrote the story from scratch, which is a 21 page reading. It's a 3rd person Survival Horror video game Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis etc.

I've attached my GDD.

I mailed it to myself and got it today so that's why I am posting it. Not saying my idea is best, but people will steal when they can.

I open to disscussion

even if it includes, thats cheesy, corny etc

If you have no interest on game design dont tell me how to write my GDD's

I got the staple idea for the Technical part from GTA's GDD

Activision likes the idea. Well Activision likes Money.... So I told them I'd make a game that would compete with Dead Space (EA) and Resident Evil (CapCom) even though both of those games today are a mockery to the genre of survival horror

RealityFails    155
Thank you guys. For the first post. That was a simple typo. I really haven't had time to go over it.

Second post, yeah I figured the use of so many weapons would take away the survival feel I'll limit it to a hand gun and sniper. As for the rape, its not just rape randomly. She is being searched by West for a locket. I do remember the TR situation. I'm going to work on a better back story and grammar errors should be ready to look again by tomorrow. I got so focused on horror I forgot the meaning of survival.

Aeramor    1930

Thade and Milcho covered most of the things I would have brought up. But a solid re-read is highly recommended; grammer/spelling errors abound.

I did however want to reiterate on the rape point. This is not a subject to be taken lightly. While I understand its importance to your plot (jenna becoming pregnant by West's (who I assume is "Scott") baby) it is still just a bad idea. 

Just one other point I should make real fast: Do NOT put your personal email on anything that sells more than 5 copies. Putting your personal email even on a support website is not only unprofessional but something I really just cannot recommend (mostly for your sanity's sake).

Edited by Aeramor

Rybo5001    517

I mailed it to myself and got it today so that's why I am posting it. Not saying my idea is best, but people will steal when they can.

Just so you know, this means nothing. Mailing something to yourself does not prove anything, it's kind of a "legal urban myth" to believe it does.

RealityFails    155
I'll rewrite the rape scene. Try not to make it known to the player. But I cant scrap it. The baby plays a keyrole at the end. I
the thing is though for the assault is she has been delaying all his plans. Not to mention she is chained up. I can upload the story if you want

RealityFails    155

Just so you know, this means nothing. Mailing something to yourself does not prove anything, it's kind of a "legal urban myth" to believe it does.
it will work as a legal stabding. S. King did it. So will i

ApochPiQ    23013
If you have details like this in a GDD, they need to be backed up with descriptions of two things:
  • What the intended gameplay effect of each number/etc. is - why does this weapon work this way, versus that one? Why three mags instead of five or two? And so on. Anything with specific numbers or details needs justification from a design standpoint.
  • All alternatives you have explored - if you have a 3 in your doc, you should explain what testing you have done with 2, or 7, instead; explain why those alternatives do (or do not) reach the design goals as covered above. If you cannot do this, you have not designed a game - you have written an arbitrary drama. Do not fake this, either. Actually implement design changes and see how they play.
A GDD should not have solid numbers in it unless you are already done polishing that area of the game. From the discussion here it sounds like you've got a lot of premature decisions made and no explanation of them. As a designer reading your doc, this strikes me as very risky. I should be able to look at any design decision in the doc and understand exactly what motivated it and why it is optimal for your purposes.

serratemplar    1656

I'll rewrite the rape scene. Try not to make it known to the player. But I cant scrap it. The baby plays a keyrole at the end. I
the thing is though for the assault is she has been delaying all his plans. Not to mention she is chained up. I can upload the story if you want

That's really still falling into the same trap. I strongly recommend you research the topic far more thoroughly and/or drop it altogether. Start by reading that Tomb Raider article linked above. Notice how much heat that AAA game - backed by a big publisher - is taking for doing the same thing in their game. And they're not even touching pregnancy, which is its own extremely serious issue in sci fi/fantasy fiction (which is often handled incorrectly). To be perfectly frank, the only reason the Tomb Raider team got that atrocity through the publisher is that they're an established team with an established IP.

It really swings far, far afield from your hook: a down-and-out mom trying to reunite with her kids in the middle of a zombie apocalypse has a lot of potential for deep character development and exploration: it has a lot of potential as a plot point in its own right.

serratemplar    1656

it will work as a legal stabding. S. King did it. So will i

It doesn't work. Go and google "does mailing yourself something copyright" and see the landslide of explanations as to why it doesn't work. sad.png

Also, your fears are unfounded. Read this Lost Garden article to assuage your fears. smile.png

Jirachex    146

The game looks really good but I would never write a 21 page story... Usually to come up with games I make a simple prototype that is fun and playable. Have you started doing anything else except the story? You seem to have went into a lot of detail for a game that doesn't exist yet.

- Jirachex

RealityFails    155

The game looks really good but I would never write a 21 page story... Usually to come up with games I make a simple prototype that is fun and playable. Have you started doing anything else except the story? You seem to have went into a lot of detail for a game that doesn't exist yet.

- Jirachex

yeah i started working on the engine with a programmer and and a level designer as well as an artist.

RealityFails    155

I uploaded the story. Not saying I disagree with any of your views as they are all very helpful. But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

So i uploaded the story in the first post....

havsmonstret    1017

I uploaded the story. Not saying I disagree with any of your views as they are all very helpful. But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

So i uploaded the story in the first post....

I don't know if it's just Word 2013 screwing it up but you should really look into paragraphs. Everything is just a single line of text.

serratemplar    1656

But you seem to think I don't have a reason for why that is in the game.

Respectfully, that is not my assumption. What I'm saying (and, as I've read it, what others here are also saying) is that you could have the most amazing justification for it ever and you should still not put it in your game. It's not appropriate, it's a trauma trigger that could potentially really hurt people you don't know, and - if for no other reason - it will most certainly make it very hard for you to secure a deal with a publisher or even to go indie.

Pick another vector for the cure that does not dehumanize your protagonist by exploiting the sheer fact she has female reproductive parts. She's not a plot device or an incubator. She's a main character and she definitely deserves better.

serratemplar    1656

Certainly better, but if his goal is the locket and she's wearing it, he doesn't have to check her over anything upon see it around her neck. :) Then (because he didn't frisk her) she can produce a hidden weapon with which to secure her escape.