• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornstalks

People keep PMing me thinking I'm a moderator... help?

51 posts in this topic

Just got another one of these today. I've lost count how many I've gotten. Honestly, I have absolutely no clue why they think I'm a mod. My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

I'm not sure what to do about it. I always just report the PMs to bring a mod to the attention of their request. But I'm trying to think of a way new people can more easily contact a moderator if they need to. Or at least know the people in the Moderator section of Top Members aren't actually moderators.

So, good people of GameDev (and especially anyone new! I'm making this thread with you in mind), how can we help new people know how to contact a moderator if they need to?

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png Edited by Madhed

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

How do you have the ability to move threads without being a moderator?

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman smile.png

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Edited by Cornstalks

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman

My name is Hodgman, and I'm a GD netholic...

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

You nailed it :) There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

You nailed it smile.png There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

throw NotAModeratorException();

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Now that Promit was made a moderator a year or two ago, anything else is just frosting on the cake.

Plus, what with me trying to make a game at all, being made a moderator would just get me more excuses to procrastinate and delay development, so I'm happy to abdicate* in favor to your coronation instead. smile.png 

*It's always easy to abdicate positions you don't have - just ask Edward VIII.

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png
(From to your rating breakdown)

My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

Yay for receiving no requests :)

But I do agree with the mod points being somewhat weird with the actual mods being so low or non-existant on it. I report threads posted in the wrong place but I don't expect a reward from it, I just figure that it is good forum behaviour and overall keeps things where they belong. Perhaps if the name was changed to something less conflictive with the title Moderator.

My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

Agreed. I'd really like them renamed to something other than "moderator points".

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png

I think we need Mike up in here. That is really pretty funny.

Well now we have you, StormyNature, and SotL. :D

postedinwrongplace.png
(From to your [url=http://www.gamedev.net/sm/member/67860-cornstalks]rating breakdown[/url])

I think we need Mike up in here. That is really pretty funny.

It's the +5 mod points for having a reporting something -- in this case, the text is the name of the PM where the report button was clicked.
According to the report centre, you handled that one yourself ;)
0CCZxVl.png

Yeah I agree with renaming "moderator points". Or maybe in the 'top members' section that lets you view the top "community moderators", we also list the official moderators to avoid confusion?

Also, while we're here, we mods need another option besides completing genuine reports (+5 points to reporter) and deleting spurious reports (-10 points to troll reporter). If someone makes a triple post and asks us to go and delete them, I don't want to give them a reward for it tongue.png (nor a -10 punishment).

Edited by Hodgman

Simple solution might be to just bump the real mods to the top of the Moderator ranking list, if the software allows that.

If we are going that route, a longer-term solution is to make actual moderator actions confer mod points. Then we should stay neatly on top of the list.

completing genuine reports (+5 points to reporter)

You (and JBAdams in another thread) seem to be saying that you get +5 reputation when a moderator sees and fulfills a report (as long as the report is legitimate), but in the past few days, I've made two reports, and the moment I make the report, I get +5 reputation.  It doesn't come later, it comes to me on the next page I visit after reporting something.

So I think we're just getting reputation for reporting anything, not getting it the moment a moderator sees the report and deals with the problem (which seems to be what you're saying is supposed to happen).

Unless you moderators are just really fast with fulfilling reports...

You get +5 instantly for reporting, but -10 if they (later) decide you made a stupid/frivolous/troll report.

Ah, I see...so essentially, it's just the same as if they gave +5 for good reports and -5 for bad ones.

I thought it might have been a bug, or the moderators were actually super androids capable of processing reports extremely quickly.

I was leaning more towards the latter (obviously)

It is the red text in your avatar. In the corner of the eyes it is an indication that you are a moderator.

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png

That image taken out of context is just plain worrisome. You get reputation points not just for posting topics in the wrong section but also for crashing linked lists too? o_O Looks like this is the TDWTF reputation meter.

Hey, somebody had to make the joke =P

It is the red text in your avatar. In the corner of the eyes it is an indication that you are a moderator.

i have to agree with this, when scrolling through responses, the red stands out just enough, that sometimes i mistake corn for a mod.

edit: tbh, your entire avatar kindof screams mod to me, i can't really explain why.

Edited by slicer4ever

If we are going that route, a longer-term solution is to make actual moderator actions confer mod points. Then we should stay neatly on top of the list.

Sounds great. Excuse me while I warm up my ban hammer...

+350 Banned someone
+125 ...if they actually deserved it
+150 ...if it was a nes8bit account

i have to agree with this, when scrolling through responses, the red stands out just enough, that sometimes i mistake corn for a mod.

edit: tbh, your entire avatar kindof screams mod to me, i can't really explain why.

Dang. I got it from this gif (after almost using something from this gif). Anyway, how's my avatar now?

+350 Banned someone
+125 ...if they actually deserved it
+150 ...if it was a nes8bit account

I seriously laughed out loud while sitting in the engineering building at school.

after almost using something from this gif

Hahaha, there was once upon a time (like, 6 years ago) when I couldn't stop laughing at that gif.

I wonder where it came from...