People keep PMing me thinking I'm a moderator... help?

Started by
50 comments, last by Mussi 11 years, 1 month ago

Just got another one of these today. I've lost count how many I've gotten. Honestly, I have absolutely no clue why they think I'm a mod. My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

I'm not sure what to do about it. I always just report the PMs to bring a mod to the attention of their request. But I'm trying to think of a way new people can more easily contact a moderator if they need to. Or at least know the people in the Moderator section of Top Members aren't actually moderators.

So, good people of GameDev (and especially anyone new! I'm making this thread with you in mind), how can we help new people know how to contact a moderator if they need to?

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. :D

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

How do you have the ability to move threads without being a moderator?

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Must be your obscene amount of rep points. I'll gladly take some... biggrin.png

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman smile.png

The PMs I get usually are just hobbyist team invites from developers, programming help requests from beginners, or spam from robots. sad.png

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Aw, come on, I'm not Hodgman

My name is Hodgman, and I'm a GD netholic...

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Heh, that's kind of a positive feedback loop then, because I'm guessing you do the right thing, which is pressing the report button, which in turn grants you "moderator points", pushing you to the top of the "top members / moderator" list... making people think you're a moderator, PMing you... GOTO 10.

You nailed it :) There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

You nailed it smile.png There's no escaping this loop, so I created this thread trying to figure out where/how to break it.

throw NotAModeratorException();

They could just give you a Moderator title. That way the PMs would be completely legit. biggrin.png

I thought we were all voting for Servant of the Lord as the new mod of GD.net tongue.png

Now that Promit was made a moderator a year or two ago, anything else is just frosting on the cake.

Plus, what with me trying to make a game at all, being made a moderator would just get me more excuses to procrastinate and delay development, so I'm happy to abdicate* in favor to your coronation instead. smile.png

*It's always easy to abdicate positions you don't have - just ask Edward VIII.

I don't. That's the funny thing. I get requests to move threads, people letting me know about links in threads going to bogus/adult sites asking me to clean it up, someone saying someone hacked their computer based on a link to a bogus site in a profile website url, etc...

Then the bigger question is, why do you get points for intentionally posting threads in the wrong section? laugh.png
postedinwrongplace.png
(From to your rating breakdown)

My completely wild guess is maybe they're looking under Moderator section of the "Top Members" where I just so happen to be (currently) #2 (which, by the way, I think these moderator points are kinda lame because the real moderators aren't getting points for actually doing real moderating).

Yay for receiving no requests :)

But I do agree with the mod points being somewhat weird with the actual mods being so low or non-existant on it. I report threads posted in the wrong place but I don't expect a reward from it, I just figure that it is good forum behaviour and overall keeps things where they belong. Perhaps if the name was changed to something less conflictive with the title Moderator.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement