Using SlimDX in my project (DirectX11 in XNA)

Started by
8 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 2 months ago

This is directed to the SlimDX team. I have been using SlimDX in a project of mine (JBBRXG11 - Providing DirectX 11 functionality in an XNA environment - a project I have recently uploaded on CodePlex). I would like to know if/how I can include the SlimDX library in my installer. At first I thought that I would just state it as a prerequisite for users to sort out themselves. However that wasn't a happy experience on my first foreign machine installation trial. Is it acceptable/advisable to simply include a SlimDX dll in my distribution?

Advertisement

Hey wait what? You say now I can use dx 10 and 11 with XNA using this? ohmy.png It would be super awesome biggrin.png

Partly - project is incomplete. We were hoping to get some interest and have a few people help work with it. There is a longer intro on the CodePlex site but briefly, the project began with XNA 3.1 and DirectX 10 and has been (incompletely) ported to XNA 4 and DirectX 11. So, with some parts working and a mixture of XNA3/4 API it is currently possible to run Geometry Shaders and Tesselation. Have a look on the site http://jbbrxg11.codeplex.com/ and have a look at my youtube video

">
- don't forget to display it in hi-def (1920 by 1080) or you won't be able to read the text. Cheers, thanks for being our first response.

A further comment - I've built an installer, which should set it all up on Visual Studio 2010, provided that SlimDX and XNA 4 are installed, and would appreciate feedback from anyone trying it.

I personally will keep up with updates, really looking forward to work with JBBRXG11 :) It looks really promising :D

It's perfectly fine to include the SlimDX DLLs in your installer. We have some information on deployment with SlimDX here.

Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

I thought slimdx was not supported anymore. ( or at the very least very much non updated on a regular basis ) it was for this reason we moved to SharpDX.

It's still supported. There hasn't been much reason to update; there are hardly any bugs and we support all the features we're going to support. We don't have any plans to add support for Metro or Win8-only features, since none of us have any interest in using those platforms.

Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I've experimented a bit with the installation options you linked. I am using InstallShield LE and have had difficulties with various of its (non)features - absolute file references, unable to access locations via registry, etc. So, have settled on including a SlimDX dll in my installer. I've built and uploaded my new installer today, and will set about wider (than my laptop) testing this week.

Thanks again

Bill

It's still supported. There hasn't been much reason to update; there are hardly any bugs and we support all the features we're going to support. We don't have any plans to add support for Metro or Win8-only features, since none of us have any interest in using those platforms.

Ah, okay, i think that was the reason we switched was the development seemed to be non existent and we wanted to work with DX11.1 . I am glad that you guys are still working on it though as I very much enjoyed working with it while we had it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement