Trouble with very slow rendering with nvidia under Linux

Started by
11 comments, last by floatingwoods 11 years, 2 months ago

The "package conflict" is because Debian installs various libraries using DEB packaging and the dpkg-alternatives system, symlinking driver-specific OpenGL shared objects so they get picked up at run time. The nVidia installer does not use packaging and simply clobbers the links with real libraries

Yep, I know. Had to delete a few soft links here and there (pretty much the standard approach to installing newer GCC versions too) Re installing the Debian packages should remake all the links if you want to go back. Dunno why is a big issue.

Anyway, whatever suits your boat. Its fun to me to install new drivers and see what's new. Somebody may want to wait until everything just works, its fine by me.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement

The "package conflict" is because Debian installs various libraries using DEB packaging and the dpkg-alternatives system, symlinking driver-specific OpenGL shared objects so they get picked up at run time. The nVidia installer does not use packaging and simply clobbers the links with real libraries

Yep, I know. Had to delete a few soft links here and there (pretty much the standard approach to installing newer GCC versions too) Re installing the Debian packages should remake all the links if you want to go back. Dunno why is a big issue.

Anyway, whatever suits your boat. Its fun to me to install new drivers and see what's new. Somebody may want to wait until everything just works, its fine by me.

Installing the Debian package will not restore the symlinks. That was my point. It will simply fail.

I don't have a problem if you like to install third-party software and tweak your system, or if you like to customize the kernel and build your own gcc -- I do it all the time. Where the problem happens is when I have to spend time addressing complaints from someone because "someone on a forum somewhere on the web told me to do it this way and it broke my system, and now it's broken, it's your fault and Ubuntu sucks, tell me how to fix it right now."

So, anyone can go ahead and munge their system. I still strongly recommend against doing so unless you already know how to recover, in which case you probably wouldn't be asking here for advice.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Thanks a lot for all the pertinent replies. I'll try to look at all those possible reasons.

Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement