• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shatter

string parsing troubles...

This topic is 6113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

here is my source...I keep getting a segmentation fault on the second call to stringparse! Can anybody tell me why? #include #include #include #define maxname 25 #define maxline 100 #define maxstudent 10 //User defined types and structures //ID is a type that defines a student typedef struct student_id { char id[8]; char name[25]; int age; int quiz[5]; float ave; float height; }ID; //function declarations void openfile(FILE **); void stringparse(char *, char *); void line_to_struct(ID*, char*, char*); int main() { //local declarations FILE *file_ptr; char array[maxline]; char *array_ptr; char *firstspace_ptr; ID studentarray[maxstudent]; ID student1; ID *student1_ptr; //main code openfile(&file_ptr);//opens the file for reading fgets(array,sizeof(array),file_ptr);//places one line of the file in an array //pointer initializations array_ptr=&array[0]; firstspace_ptr=&array[0]; student1_ptr=&student1; line_to_struct(student1_ptr,array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); printf("%s\n",student1.id); printf("%s\n",student1.name); return(0); } /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Takes in a FILE pointer and asks for a filename. It then opens it for reading. If the file does not exist it returns an Error and exits the program. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ void openfile(FILE **infile) { //local declarations char filename[maxname]; printf("Please enter the name of the file you would like to open: "); scanf("%s",filename); *infile=fopen(filename, "r"); if(*infile==NULL) { printf("The file you entered does not exist\n"); exit(8); } } /*---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Takes an array and looks for spaces. It advances firstspace to the first character that is not a space and leaves the array_ptr at the same place. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ void stringparse(char *array_ptr, char *firstspace_ptr) { firstspace_ptr=strchr(array_ptr,'' ''); *firstspace_ptr=''\0''; firstspace_ptr++; while (*firstspace_ptr=='' '' && *firstspace_ptr!=''\0'') { firstspace_ptr++; }; } /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------- line_to_struct fills a struct called ID ----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/ void line_to_struct(ID *student_ptr, char *array_ptr, char *firstspace_ptr) { stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); strcpy((*student_ptr).id, array_ptr); array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); //-this call bombs the prog //strcpy((*student_ptr).name,array_ptr); //strcpy(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.quiz.quiz1=array_ptr; // array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.quiz.quiz2=array_ptr; // array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.quiz.quiz3=array_ptr; // array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.quiz.quiz4=array_ptr; // array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.quiz.quiz5=array_ptr; // array_ptr=firstspace_ptr; // stringparse(array_ptr,firstspace_ptr); // student.height=array_ptr;*/ } ICQ 11133295 AIM shatterstar98 MSN shatter98@hotmail.com

Advertisement
!

//You need to use a char** in order to return a char* as

// a parameter for firstspace_ptr.

void stringparse(char *array_ptr, char *firstspace_ptr)
{
firstspace_ptr=strchr(array_ptr,'' '');
//This points firstspace to NULL! Bad programmer, bad! set it to array_ptr

*firstspace_ptr=''\0'';
//This does not advance through the string, it just adds!

firstspace_ptr++;
//BOOM! You''re reading RAM at address 0x00000001

while (*firstspace_ptr=='' '' && *firstspace_ptr!=''\0'')
{
firstspace_ptr++;
};

}

You''re not advancing through the array_ptr string, your just adding one to a single byte value!

I don't agree with all Magmai Kai Holmlor said but he is right about that you have to use char** firstspace_ptr. Also, strchr returns NULL if it doesn't find what it's looking for, so you have to check for that. Here is how I would write it( I haven't been able to test it since I don't have a compiler on this machine). Btw, about your while loop: if firstspace_ptr == ' ' it is always != '\0' so you don't need that test.

void stringparse(char *array_ptr, char **firstspace_ptr)
{
*firstspace_ptr = strchr(array_ptr,' ');
if( *firstspace_ptr != NULL )
{
**firstspace_ptr = '\0';
*firstspace_ptr++;
while( **firstspace_ptr == ' ' )
{
*firstspace_ptr++;
}
}
else
{
*firstspace_ptr = array_ptr;
}
}

I don't know why you want to do **firstspace_ptr = '\0' but I
suppose you have your reasons. However it doesn't set the pointer to point to NULL as Magmai claimed.

Edited by - lowlevel on October 19, 2001 4:46:22 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!