[Tutorial] Instant-Insertion Quadtrees

Started by
13 comments, last by Froyo 11 years, 2 months ago

I have just posted a tutorial on super-fast instant-insert quadtrees here. Efficient Instant-Insertion Quadtrees

The downsides of typical implementations of quadtrees is related to caching and searching (which compounds the caching problem) when objects are inserted into it.

Here, I explain 2 ways to improve the cache:

1. Insert objects into the tree instantly, without a search.
  2. Store all the tree nodes together in one large pool of nodes.

I use bit hacks to instantly determine how deep into the tree an object is, and then I store the nodes at each level in a grid-like order so that I can instantly convert the object’s X and Y coordinates to the X and Y indices of the node to which it will be inserted.

The results are quite drastic. I can update, move, and re-insert 30,000 objects into this quadtree at 60 FPS on an iPad 3.

So read it for yourselves!

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
Bookmarked. Thanks for sharing!

That's pretty damn slick - gotta love the bit-hacks.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Interesting stuff! I just made a simple quadtree program last week to refresh myself on the C++ language.

I may try making this quadtree as a challenge.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Great tutorial!

Wit this technique, are my world coordinates forced to be from 0 - 256? And objects will only be spatially sorted at a resolution of (1/256)?

Great tutorial!

Wit this technique, are my world coordinates forced to be from 0 - 256? And objects will only be spatially sorted at a resolution of (1/256)?

That would make it very limited, wouldn't it? It's 256 in his example since it's easier to show how it works in 8 bits. You can use 16 or 32 bit types if you want, for a much larger area.

Wit this technique, are my world coordinates forced to be from 0 - 256?

No, you just need to apply a suitable conversion factor.

And objects will only be spatially sorted at a resolution of (1/256)?

Yes. That should be plenty to significantly speed up collision detection, or any other naive O(N^2) process.

You can use 16 or 32 bit types if you want, for a much larger area.

You will run out of memory - it's not feasible to preallocate enough storage. If you really need a quad-tree with depth greater than 8, then you need a sparse representation thereof.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You can use 16 or 32 bit types if you want, for a much larger area.

You will run out of memory - it's not feasible to preallocate enough storage. If you really need a quad-tree with depth greater than 8, then you need a sparse representation thereof.

Oh right, I mixed up the world coordinates for depth representations. I forgot for a moment that the 8-bit value represents the tree levels, not coordinates.

Converting the coordinates as you said makes more sense.

But couldnt you just use a part of lets say a 16 bit into to get lets say a 10 level tree?

o3o

The world size can be any value. In the code, m_fInvRadius is used to make the conversion from world units to internal units here:
		// Now to the range from [0..255].
		a2Shifted.m_vMin.x *= m_fInvRadius;
		a2Shifted.m_vMin.y *= m_fInvRadius;
		a2Shifted.m_vMax.x *= m_fInvRadius;
		a2Shifted.m_vMax.y *= m_fInvRadius;
You can use 16-bit values and some adjustments to the internal range to get 10 levels, but that would be 349,525 nodes and 18,175,300 megabytes of memory on 32-bit machines.

8 levels is usually enough. If your world is 10,000 meters square (10 kilometers), the smallest squares are 78.125 meters in size, which is very reasonable resolution. Remember that the smaller your nodes are the more frequently moving objects have to be re-inserted, so there is a trade-off with deeper trees.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement