Prices of in-game goods (mobile apps)

Started by
3 comments, last by MunuTMB 11 years, 2 months ago
Pricing of in-app goods appear to be a bit of a grey area in the mobile gaming industry. To shed some light on the subject, my friends and I in SF are testing tracking changes in stores in popular gaming apps.

Join us - let's learn together and find trends. Check us out: http://gamergifts.myshopify.com/collections/ios-apps

Also, let us know if you would like for a certain in-app store to be tracked – we will add the app to our site. Suggestions and recommendations are always welcomed.
Advertisement
Your page gives a 404.

I don't know how you say it is a grey area. The game creator sets the price of goods based on what they believe it will earn. Smart businesses look at the actual costs involved to create and market and fund the transaction, and also do research to see what their customers are willing to pay.

What are you tracking, and where will you be posting your results?

We corrected the error. Right now we are just looking at the price of items in in-app stores on iOS.

As for your grey area, comment. We have found that some developers, due to time contraints, do not do a deep dive into how to price their in-store items. Should an item be priced $0.99 or $1.49? Do price points ending in 9's sell better? Great questions.

We also believe players may be interested in receiving notifications if a new item is listed or a price changes in in-app stores.

Thanks for taking a look at our test site. Do what do you think - are developers charging to much for their in-game items?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement