Multiplayer web game - where to start?

Started by
4 comments, last by smr 11 years, 2 months ago
I have an idea for a small web-based game that can be played by a few players (maybe 2 to 4). Im just not sure where to start with something like that (i.e. how I should handle exchange of information between players, how i should host it, etc.).

Id like to point out that Im an experienced programmer (and ive done games), so this isnt just a "how i make game?" question. Im just not great with web dev. Thanks.
Advertisement

maybe you can take a look at node.js, web sockets. for links just google'em :)

Learn: HTML, PHP, MySQL (in that order). Once you get familiar with these it will become self explanatory how to make such a game (especially since you are an experienced programmer already).

Generally it works like that:

- PHP is the language, you write the game in this

- HTML is the rendering engine and keyboard input (you can also add extras later like CSS, JS, jQuery, AJAX)

- MySQL is your hard disk, you load and save data via it (note that in theory you don't need it and can use PHP for this, but is't soooo convenient and easy that it would be a suicide to not use it)

You should also take a look at cronjobs (it's a simkulator of someone clicking on your php script at a certain hour).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Take a look at Node.js and Socket.io.

You can communicate between players by using sockets. Also you can communicate with just HTTP for a turn-based game ;)

This you can use to make a game that start from the browser...

For just a text-based game in the browser you can use PHP/ASP.NET/JSP or JSF

Also, if python is your flavor, you can try tornado along with sock.js (client and tornado server implementation)for your web server and messaging. If CPython performance becomes an issue (it probably won't) you can swap out CPython for PyPy and get a significant performance bump, probably.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement