Create Game about film or other story book

Started by
7 comments, last by DaveTroyer 11 years, 2 months ago

Hi

when i went to create my game a bout a film story what is copyright roles?

i need to get permission to create it ?and pay money ?

please help

Advertisement

i need to get permission to create it ?

Yes.

and pay money ?

Likely.

Getting the rights to create a game about a movie or a franchise costs a LOT of money, and is usually out of the scope of indie developers.

That said, if you have a few millions to spare, and want to make a new Star-Trek or Transformers game - contact the IP holder - I'm sure they'll be happy to grant you the rights.

Just kidding. If you're serious about the issue, and still want to do it - contact a lawyer. It's not something you can do on your own.

EDIT: I removed this post due to poor communication on my part and inadvertently giving bad advice.

Sorry about that.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Does not the time of a film?the film that create in 1970 need to permission in 2011?

I agree with the posters above unless you're talking about a game for personal use or non-profit fan game.

Usually with fan-made games or personal projects that have no financial gain, then there isn't much the IP holder can do in the land of copyrights.

But, you have to make sure that there is no money made from it.

That's not good advice.

The fact that the "fan game" makes no money does not guarantee that its creator will win a lawsuit if the case goes to court.

If you can't afford to be sued, don't make a fan game without permission.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Does not the time of a film?the film that create in 1970 need to permission in 2011?

Yes, you need permission. Look up copyright and trademark law. Read the thread entitled "Legal Questions" - http://www.gamedev.net/topic/638271-legal-questions/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Usually with fan-made games or personal projects that have no financial gain, then there isn't much the IP holder can do in the land of copyrights.

But, you have to make sure that there is no money made from it.

Not only is this "not good advice" as Tom says, it is 100% incorrect. It makes no difference if you make money for it or not. (Edit to add example). A great example is the old iPhone Lightsabre app. This was a free download in the early days of the app store. it used a recording of the light sabre sound from the Star Wars movies. Lucas got wind and could have had them remove their app. (Instead they told them they needed to change the app into an advertisement for an upcoming Lucas property). But it was open and shut copyright infringement, even thought the app was free.

That's one of the biggest myths about copyright. The myth is "if you don't make money from it, they can't sue you." They very much can sue, and will win.

On another note: Your subject says "Create game about film or other story book." If the movie was itself based on a book, and the book is in the public domain, then you are probably safe making a game based on the book, as long as you don't copy anything from the movie.

For example, you could make a game based on "Snow White", the public domain story by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm ("The Brothers Grimm"). But if your Snow White character looked like the Disney movie character, you would be in violation of Disney's copyright (of the image of the character, not the story).

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Guess I'm wrong. Sorry about that.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement