What is your employers policy on coming in late?

Started by
39 comments, last by DaBookshah 11 years, 1 month ago

I've had the people who required "exactly 40 hour weeks", which typically meant a 45-50 hour week. I quit.

The managers I've had for the past 7 years or so have agreed with the fact that we are all adults. We know what a full work day is. We can tell when our creativity has run out for the day. Sometimes people will put in a 9 or 10 hour day, other times they may be done at 6 or 7 hours. All that matters is that it mostly balances out in the end and that they get their job done. We have had the rare individual who will abuse it, and routinely put in 6 hour days, but they are rare and are quickly dealt with.

Companies that regularly require a min of 40, and max of whatever they can get away with, is not where I work for long ; )

Where I'm at now, is more along the lines of your last paragraph... I typically work from home two days a week, and the other days, I'll be at the office between 4 and 10 hours, but my boss knows how much I contribute, and the hours I put in outside (including weekends)... It's not the same for my co-workers though, so it's not purely the business that is this way, which is unfortunate, but I'm fine with being a special snowflake ; ) So I typically put in 50-60 hour weeks, because of the flexibility they afford me.

Not surprisingly, I chose the flexible with me vs them ; )

-Alamar

Advertisement

Companies that regularly require a min of 40, and max of whatever they can get away with, is not where I work for long ; )

Here in Australia, a min of 40 is actually illegal under threat of a $300,000 fine wink.png

The maximum work hours you can request of someone (on average over a "reasonable period") is 38 hours per week.

e.g. If I did three 50 hour weeks, then I'd have to have that over-time repaid to me by following it up with a 2 hour week (50+50+50+2 == 38+38+38+38)

However if you are late due to train delays, you can get a small paper from the train station that says they had a delay and the company will forgive such a case.

I know this is just a cultural difference (plus the likelihood of a Japanese train being late is much lower than an Australian train), but if I asked a station employee to write a note to my boss saying the train is late, they'd likely be extremely puzzled and think I was a bit crazy... and if my manager asked for proof that my train was actually late, I'd be offended at the insinuation that I'm lying.

We can tell when our creativity has run out for the day. Sometimes people will put in a 9 or 10 hour day, other times they may be done at 6 or 7 hours. All that matters is that it mostly balances out in the end and that they get their job done. We have had the rare individual who will abuse it, and routinely put in 6 hour days, but they are rare and are quickly dealt with.

What if you get a person who's creativity runs out after 6 hours routinely, but during that time they're 200% as productive as anyone else? Does it matter if their hours don't 'balance out' to a 40 hour week as long as they're getting a good amount of work done?

if I asked a station employee to write a note to my boss saying the train is late, they'd likely be extremely puzzled and think I was a bit crazy...

If the trains run late there is already a stack of little papers you can just pick up that the stations provide automatically, pre-stamped and waiting for your fingers.

I’ve never used one since I come in many hours early so I don’t know the details.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

We have the flexi time system too. Core: 8:30 - 15:00, Friday: 8:30-13:30. You have to work 8 hours a day in average (in a month). If you have +8 hours, you can take a day off (only once a month, but the balance rolls over the months). If you have negative balance, you might have reduced bonus. If you are late from the core hours, usually nothing happens, you just receive a paper that you have to sign (the same paper that you get if you don't properly check in or out). It doesn't have consequences yet, though there are some changes in sight in the company, and some other bosses may be more prick about the thing than mine.

My employer doesn't really care about hours at all, as long as we get our assigned work done and don't get burnt out. We have core hours to help with scheduling meetings (10:00-16:00).

What about lunch?

People take lunch in there if they want, most of the team is salaried anyway. The point is that the "core hours" keep people from scheduling their hours in the middle of the night or something wildly outside everyone else' availability (and we're not international, so no general worry about time zones outside the US).

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

For some jobs like high volume phone support, being on time is critical.

Personally, I wouldn't work for a company that didn't allow me at least some flexibility in work hours. At my current job, we don't have flexi-time as such, but there's plenty of leeway as long as the work gets done (i.e. I finish early on Mondays to teach, I just either do some work at home that evening or work a bit later tuesday)

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Everybody my job is cool with being a little late, although it's usually a good idea to send an email or a text if you're going to be more than 20 min late. I don't think I would ever work anywhere where I got a hard time for showing up a little late, especially if I were working late the night before.

but if I asked a station employee to write a note to my boss saying the train is late, they'd likely be extremely puzzled and think I was a bit crazy...

And if you're in Melbourne then it's expected that your train will be late.

If I'm late, I tell myself off.

Biggest problem with not being at the office is that I don't get to meet all my nice co-workers, and discussing things are easier in person then on skype.

We don't really have any core hours, though the company offers breakfast every morning, sometime between 9-9:30, if you're not there at that time, then you miss it, including any discussion that usually happens then.

Of course, you have to contribute to production and complete the work you've been assigned/volunteered for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement