What is your employers policy on coming in late?

Started by
39 comments, last by DaBookshah 11 years, 1 month ago

Out of curiosity I wanted to know what was everyones experience with coming in late to work? Do your employers care as long as you work 7 or 8 hours? If so how tolerant are they? is there 0 minute tolerance, 5 minute, 15 minute etc...

Advertisement
We have flexible time with core hours. Arrive before 10:01. Leave after 4:00. Other than that, do your work.

Almost no meetings are scheduled before 10:00. Few meetings extend past 4:00.

We're all grown-ups. We know what a full work day means.
We set our own hours. I know of one guy that often used to start his 8 hours from 12pm, and another that starts at 6:30am (they aren't on the same team of course).
I typically start just after 8, but also work from home once a week. I often get more done from home than I do at work anyway.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

A programmer is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

A programmer is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to?

That could be a pick up line.

None of the above -- we don't have a concept of 'arriving late'. We have a concept of 'the other people in your team think you're taking the piss'.

Although if you arrive after 2pm, the restaurant is shut....

Flex-time is great. So long as you're in from 10am-2pm, which are only core hours for the sake of scheduling meetings and conference calls, you can set your own start/end times.

In practice, most folks here work 8-5 out of convenience and habit. Hard to collaborate well if your team is all over the place in coverage.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Flex-time is great. So long as you're in from 10am-2pm, which are only core hours for the sake of scheduling meetings and conference calls, you can set your own start/end times.

In practice, most folks here work 8-5 out of convenience and habit. Hard to collaborate well if your team is all over the place in coverage.

What about lunch?

We don't have flex time, but we don't crack down hard on being late (within reason) as far as I'm aware. I will say that working with international teams, flex time tends to break down; you can't expect Europe to stay till midnight so the west coast can get in later or vice versa. I used to be a big proponent of flex time, but 10AM-2PM seems a little much especially taking into account that that is probably where all the meetings fall.

Most of the companies I've worked from have used the 'choose your start/end times within a certain window' system. E.g. 8-4/9-5/10-6... If you turn up later you're just supposed to work later.

Personally, I don't believe there's a strong enough connection between work output and hours worked in our industry to warrant fixed hours, such as exact 40 hour weeks. At my current job, we go to the office when we're ready and leave when we're done for the day...

At one recent job they were always late with payroll (no pay for 2 months is no fun) and the general atmosphere and morale was pretty shitty. In that job I was routinely turning up an hour late because I was genuinely depressed, but still getting all my work done to schedule nonetheless. After a while I noticed that my paycheques had shrunk - they decided to reduce my salary for lateness (despite great performance reviews) without even telling me! After that I decided that neither party was going to be able to get along like grown ups so I soon resigned.

We have flexible time with core hours. Arrive before 10:01. Leave after 4:00. Other than that, do your work.

Almost no meetings are scheduled before 10:00. Few meetings extend past 4:00.

We're all grown-ups. We know what a full work day means.

That is basically the same system I see everywhere here in the Seattle/Redmond/Bellevue area. Most people do not even get in until around daily scrum/standup (depending on the team, 9am-11am, usually around 10am) and most people consider it a blasphemous sin to schedule a meeting after 4pm.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement