Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Ant

Got a little problem with UpdateWindow(HWnd)

Good day/morning/night/afternoon/whatever y'all, I have written a very basic application that allows the user two load to files and compare them byte for byte (and display the results of course). It is still at a very early stage but everything works fine so far - everything EXCEPT one thing. My program is supposed to display the path, file name and size of the first file as soon as it has been loaded . The problem is, it doesn't. Well, at least not until I either a) resize the window (and thus invalidate it so it has to be redrawn) or b) load the second file (which apparently also causes the window to be redrawn). I dunno what to do to force the window to be redrawn. I even threw in an UpdateWindow() directly in my ReadFile() method to make that happen, but it didn't do the trick either. Maybe you guys have an idea what I should do to remedy this? Oh BTW, here's my windows procedure.

LRESULT CALLBACK MsgProc(HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
	switch(msg)
	{
	case WM_CREATE:
		MWnd.InitApp(hWnd);		
		return 0;

case WM_CLOSE:
		PostQuitMessage(0);
		return 0;

case WM_DESTROY:
		PostQuitMessage(0);
		return 0;

case WM_PAINT:
		MWnd.DisplayContent(); // <-- this method is responsible for displaying all info about 

return 0;              // file names, paths, sizes plus the results of the comparison

case WM_SIZE:
		MWnd.GetWndSize(lParam);
		return 0;

case WM_COMMAND: 
		switch (wParam)
		{
		case ID_FILE_EXIT:
			PostQuitMessage(0);
			return 0;
		case ID_FILE_FOPEN:   // <-- this loads a file into one of the 2 available slots 

MWnd.ReadFile();			
			return 0;		
		case ID_FILE_FSAVE:
			return 0;
		case ID_FILE_FCLEAR:
			MWnd.ClearAll();
			return 0;
		case ID_RUN_COMPAREFILES: // <-- this compares both files 

MWnd.CompareFiles();
			return 0;
		}
	}
	return DefWindowProc(hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam);
}

Thanks in advance. Regards, Markus Edited by - Red Ant on October 18, 2001 10:07:23 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think you have to invalidate the rectangle after your readfile method has finished.

case ID_FILE_FOPEN:
MWnd.ReadFile();
InvalidateRect (hwnd, NULL, TRUE);
return 0;

this will cause a WM_PAINT message to be placed in the queue.

Also, I think your DisplayContent() method needs to validate the rectangle in some way so that you don''t get an endless string of WM_PAINT messages.

You can do this by calling ValidateRect() or,
calling BeginPaint() and EndPaint().