How to publish html5 javascript game.

Started by
10 comments, last by JackBid 11 years, 2 months ago

I finished making a game in javascript with html5, however at the moment I just have a file that contains: html file, javascript file, css file and some sound files. How do I publish this on the web? I have heard that html5 games can be put on kongregate as well. So just any information about upload html5 games in general would be useful.

Advertisement

Take a look at c9.io

You can use it for free, and it has a browser based IDE, so you can make changes on the fly.

Here is a tutorial on how to publish html5 games to kongregate:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/79/uploading-html5-games-to-kongregate/page-1

There are several sites similar to kongregate, such as Armored Games, just do a seach of 'online games'. Each has a specific set of APIs you will need to implement in order to earn revenue and have them work with loging in and other features.

You can also host it on your own website.

You just need to have a server to drop it on. Now, there are various portals where you probably want your game to be, and each will have its own way of doing things, so you'll have to research each one.

As far as deployment, you probably want to look into obfuscating and minimizing your JavaScript, and if the portals aren't hosting the files for you, then you also want to look at compressing your deployment. If your game becomes popular, you might also want to look at using a CDN provider to push your content closer to your users.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

you probably want to look into obfuscating and minimizing your JavaScript

+1 for obfuscating and minimizing you scripts. There are tons online, but the Google Closure Compiler probably does the best job.

After you get it on a server, you may also considering posting it on the Google Chrome web app store, in order to increase publicity.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

You can upload your package contents to your own website, or if you don't have one, you can upload them to a public DropBox folder for example, and then just distribute the link.

For distribution, you can upload the game to sites like Kongregrate and Newgrounds (currently private requests must be made for HTML5 games), or you can begin searching for sponsors. I discuss the process of finding sponsors in my book, Making Money With HTML5, and they are a great way to reach huge audiences. My HTML5 games portfolio recently exceeded 2,000,000 plays in less than a year.

Also, you mentioned you're including sound files in your game. I'd recommend against this, as you'll find a lot of incompatibilities with audio at this time, especially on mobile devices.

Is there a better way to do the sound then? Almost all games on sites such as kongregate and newgrounds have sound, including html5 ones.

hmmm. It works fine when the file is on my desktop, but when I put it on dropbox it just glitches out and doesn't work. Is there something wrong with my code?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement