Spine: 2D skeletal animation

Started by
4 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in to spread the good word about a game development tool I've been writing with my good friend, Søren. I'm the programmer and he's the artist. The tool is called Spine and is used to build 2D skeletal animations specifically for games. We are doing a Kickstarter and passed our intial goal in just 3.5 days! We now have ~13 days left and we've just posted stretch goals, which include our plan for how to get Spine runtime support for almost all game toolkits.

You can see the Kickstarter here, and also a download link to try it now:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine

Hopefully you like our tool and can take advantage of the ~50% off you get by obtaining a license before the Kickstarter is over. smile.png

dragon-screenshot700.jpg

The dragon project was provided by ODI EntertaintmenT.

Advertisement

That looks really great. How effective do you find it at JRPG-style avatars, like this:

soldiernpc01walk.png

(from Heroes of Allacrost - which I'm not associated with)

@Servant of the Lord, Hi I'm the artist behind Spine so I just wanted to chime in and try to answer your question. There are multiple ways you can achieve that in Spine. For the image you linked, you could use a combination of switching images and tranforming bones. The benefit you get with that is that you can use procedural animation for it so you would be able to "blend" the best of both worlds.

One user of Spine has already done this. It's not a JRPG-style game he is doing, but it is the same principle. You can see it here.

">

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

I really dig Spine. I hope to add export format support for it. Seems like cool stuff and a great replacement for Toonboom if your intent is to develop a game. Which is the reason wrote my program: Toonboom did not offer what I was looking for. An exported a sequence of pngs did not animate well when I integrated it with the other game dynamics. It was too rigid. This software solves that problem.

What a great video example. Cool top down perspective!

Sorry to bother again, but only 7 hours left then the Kickstarter is over. smile.png Last chance to get a license at a big discount. Remember, you get all future updates for free.

Congrats on reaching your goal!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement