Sign in to follow this  
arroyjose

Configuring VS 2012 with DX11 on Windows 7

If anyone could me help with this, I would really appreciate it.  What are the necessery steps to get VS2012 to work with the DX11 June SDK?

I started reading the book "3D Game Programming with DirectX 11" yesterday.  The book uses vs2010, but I have a license of vs2012 and would rather use the latter instead.  I followed the instructions given by the author in a blog post.  The problem is that I can build an example solution, but the program crashes once I run it.

Edited by arroyjose

in your project settings put your include folder and the lib folder in the appropiate sections.  Make sure to add the directx 11 libs to the linker.  

Also if you don't know how to do this yet, but you think you can just pick up programming and directx 11 on the fly, you are in for it.

Edited by EddieV223

I've found #pragma comment(lib, "libname.lib") to be better; it attaches your linker settings directly to your code so they won't be lost if you copy it around.

I remember having a really hard time finding the shader compiler dll/libs when I tried DX11 - I had to download several SDKs and look through all kinds of places.