Half-life BSP file-format

Started by
5 comments, last by DanJames 22 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone know anything about the Half-life BSP file-format? I found a good document on the Quake2 format, but apparently there are some differences between them.
Advertisement
Half-Life uses a modified Quake1 Engine NOT Quake2. Go for a look at the Quake1 BSP format (version 36... I think?) the main difference is that textures are stored externally.

The Quake1 Engine is also open source so info on it''s BSP format should be easy to find.
Also, get the Half-Life SDK and/or the source code for Zoner''s Half-Life tools in addition to the Quake 1 tools. They''ll tell you everything you''d ever want to know about the HL .bsp format.
Where can I get the Quake engine?
Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Where can I get the Quake engine?

Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas
- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder
- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quake1 BSP format (version 36... I think?) the main difference is that textures are stored externally.

Quake 1 BSP version is 29, Halflife is 30. The Halflife BSP format supports external textures, as well as internal textures. The lightmaps are 24bit colour instead of 8bit greyscale. The compile tools recognize origin brushes, etc.

The general BSP format is almost identical tho.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement