Anyone else run into the "idk what programs to make" issue?

Started by
33 comments, last by Anri 11 years, 2 months ago

I plan to get started, using SDL/OpenGL.

Theres only a small issue though.

There are so many extentions/acronyms, that I don't know what I need/what I don't need.

People have said GLUT, FreeGLUT, are old/not to be used, which are like a smaller SDL, with better OpenGL support, instead use GLEW, there is GLSL (which I know is a shading language, which I assume is very important).

Someone also mentioned GLFW.

Problem with a lot of the tutorials I'm coming across, all use freeglut.

So I have no problem getting started, I just don't know what the heck I need TO get started.

Advertisement

Don't worry about what you will use yet.. you need to spend time in front of your compiler and that C++ book of yours..

When you know a language you can move on to the question of what to use and it really doesn't matter.. write down all the alternatives on a paper and throw a dice if you have to.. just choose one and get some stuff up on the screen with it and play around with it.. If you want to make games faster you should probably look into using unity3d or something similar and C# instead..

If you really need someone to pick for you..

C++, SDL, OpenGL.. now, go on.. get started..

And it doesn't help the only games I can think of making are 3D.

AKA big projects that I shouldn't be focusing on as someone who hasn't really programmed squat in the 4-5 years I have been on/off programming.

This, to me, is the telling sentence here. I put in a full day of coding at my day job, then spend 2-3 hours a night working on my game project. I live, eat, and breathe code, some of it which is as complex as game code, albeit in a different way. I would imagine that most other coders here tend to live the same way. If you're trying to pick up game programming at the same time you're trying to get back up to speed on coding, you're honestly fighting two battles. You also didn't mention what your background and former work involved, so that factors into the choice of tools to use.

I would suggest looking at using C#/XNA 4.0, along with Riemer's tutorials. I have moved on from doing C#/XNA, but it was good to learn game coding techniques, and you can explore both 2D and 3D programming. C# is a good general purpose language, too, and while MS seems to not be supporting XNA in the future, it's still good to learn with. C++ is a whole other kind of beast and learning it while learning game coding techniques is honestly just asking to fail.

Start out with a Hello World sort of 2D game -- my first game was a cannon, guided by the mouse, that shot a cannonball at a moving target. Simple, but enough to get a handle on input, game logic, game loop, etc. Text-based games aren't going to help, and something 3D is probably too much at this point, so a simple 2D game is a good start. You could even do a Frogger clone with a reasonable amount of work.

And it doesn't help the only games I can think of making are 3D.

AKA big projects that I shouldn't be focusing on as someone who hasn't really programmed squat in the 4-5 years I have been on/off programming.

This, to me, is the telling sentence here. I put in a full day of coding at my day job, then spend 2-3 hours a night working on my game project. I live, eat, and breathe code, some of it which is as complex as game code, albeit in a different way. I would imagine that most other coders here tend to live the same way. If you're trying to pick up game programming at the same time you're trying to get back up to speed on coding, you're honestly fighting two battles. You also didn't mention what your background and former work involved, so that factors into the choice of tools to use.

I would suggest looking at using C#/XNA 4.0, along with Riemer's tutorials. I have moved on from doing C#/XNA, but it was good to learn game coding techniques, and you can explore both 2D and 3D programming. C# is a good general purpose language, too, and while MS seems to not be supporting XNA in the future, it's still good to learn with. C++ is a whole other kind of beast and learning it while learning game coding techniques is honestly just asking to fail.

Start out with a Hello World sort of 2D game -- my first game was a cannon, guided by the mouse, that shot a cannonball at a moving target. Simple, but enough to get a handle on input, game logic, game loop, etc. Text-based games aren't going to help, and something 3D is probably too much at this point, so a simple 2D game is a good start. You could even do a Frogger clone with a reasonable amount of work.

truth be told, I am sick of XNA/C#. I just can't keep interest in them.

This doesn't bode well...

This doesn't bode well...

This because I want to use/feel more motivated to use C++.

Why? I don't know, I just can't seem to care about C#, letalone XNA, which is dead.

And yes I know about Monogame/FlatRedBall, but still.

Bottom line is, I am going to learn SDL/OpenGL. But I can't find squat for modern tutorials that use just them. Everything I find is outdated/doesn't use SDL/uses crap like FreeGLUT,etc.

Bill, my friend, lets be patient for a moment.

Answer the following questions, and just be honest so we can help( believe it or not, we are a nice bunch! ^_^ )...

1) Have you ANY programming experience whatsoever?

2) How much math skill do you have?

3) Have you done any 3D stuff in packages like Maya, Max, Blender etc?

4) Do you have any education in the field of computing or IT?

...its a bit vague what your current situation is, and so I apologise in advance if those questions are in any way degrading to you. But just answer each question for me. And I will reply...

Regards. Steve.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Answer the following questions, and just be honest so we can help( believe it or not, we are a nice bunch! happy.png )...

...its a bit vague what your current situation is, and so I apologise in advance if those questions are in any way degrading to you. But just answer each question for me. And I will reply...

Regards. Steve.

Yes

I plan to refesh my memory on everything from algebra up to the stuff needed for 3D math.

No, but I am working towards learning Blender3D.

No, I am self teaching, I plan to go to college here soon though. Until then I am self teaching.

Ok, here is a little story for you of a boy that wanted to start programming.

His first experiance was in Flash using action script (no idea what version) when he was 13, he continued at this he had no idea how to do any of the code just ripped it out of stuff he googled. Created a very bad game that was basiclly snap the card game. He continued with this until he decided to try something new, he started on c++. He read about 2chapters of the book he just purchased and lost motivation. So he decided he knew enough to make a very basic text RPG. That ended terribly and did not go well, he had no understand of what functions where and abused GOTO statements.

After this experiance he loved it even more after being able to have a very simple command line goto work get paid, goto shop, goto sleep rpg. So he continueed onto university, after completing his first year in his semester break decided to remake this rpg game in java. This time it went alot better, however there was still a problem with his lack of understanding of OO. Continuing into his second year he was able to learn some OpenGL using GLUT and make a very simple game that a ball would bounce to music, and a very simple 3d space invaders. In the break this time he moved on to read books about game design and game algorithms. Progressing to his final year, he was able to make a game engine with a fellow student ~30k lines in SDL and Opengl c++. And a coral simulation, using Ogre and a bunch of APIS additionally a 3d physics and AI simulation. He continued to finish his degree and receive 2awards.

Now hes employeed at a company as a graduate doing some basic testing and starts work on some Delphi (o god..) in the following weeks to begin his adventure into the working mans world.

Lesson of the story: Just pick up anything it honestly does not matter and make what you feel like. I personally would recommend C/C++ and just make some crazy stuff like a ASCII maze game where you have to get to the finish line, and take turns with the *AI* (random generate a number and go in that direction on your turn).

So... what you waiting for... christmas?

PS. ^^^^^ Life story :D!

Answer the following questions, and just be honest so we can help( believe it or not, we are a nice bunch! happy.png )...

Regards. Steve.

Yes

I plan to refesh my memory on everything from algebra up to the stuff needed for 3D math.

No, but I am working towards learning Blender3D.

No, I am self teaching, I plan to go to college here soon though. Until then I am self teaching.

Okay, so you know a bit about programming(I will assume a beginner in C++ and use it as an example from here on), you don't know the maths involved or have forgotten it, and you have not loaded up any 3D program whatsoever...

1) Lets talk C++ and upcoming education. This should be your main priority and you need to learn programming like the back of your hand. Enrol in a course at College that teaches a computing language and the basics of computing. Does not matter if its teaching C++ or not - just do it. Now, in your own time, learn C++ from SAM's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days. So long as you've installed Visual C++ Express, you can work through it. If you really want to be able to program games then just see this advice through. Being self-taught is important, but if you can complement it with some formal education then you will learn it much quicker.

2) Maths. Second most important thing you need to learn. Definitely look at trigonometry first(find out what SohCahToa is!), and then basic substitution in Algebra. You might be able to mix in Maths with your college education, which would be a bonus. Start small and just keep at it, but don't avoid it.

3) Blender, Max, Maya and all things 3D modelling & animation. This is not an easy thing to do, although it has become much easier in recent years. If you can, learn either Max or Maya. They are the top dogs of that industry and a worthy addition to your CV. On the other hand, you can do the same stuff in other packages, and like programming, its 90% what you know about 3D in general rather than what tool you use. Which ever tool you use(I use Silo, Blender & Paintshop Pro), learn your skills in this order: polygon modelling, texture creation & mapping, rigging & animation, rendering. If you can only learn one of these, learn polygon modelling(I recommend Silo if you are a beginner). Like I say, learning this is time consuming(a task as great as learning programming) so only worry about it after you sort out your programming and math skills.

...so, you are a professional programmer first, a swanky mathematician second, and then a tree-hugging-hippy-3D-artist third. Bill, this is going to take some time, so accept you are in the learning stage for the next two years and keep in mind what I have said here as to what you need to do. If you look after your skill as a programmer, then it will look after you in turn.

That's really all I have to say. Well, there is more but I doubt you'd find it interesting...

( a load of GameDev subscribers now put pistols to there heads and fire away! o_O )

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement