4 comments, last by Irlan Robson 11 years, 2 months ago
float Ix, Iy, Iz;
Ix = Iy = Iz = 0.4f * mass * radius * radius; //solid sphere
inertia.m11 = Ix; inertia.m12 = 0; inertia.m13 = 0;
inertia.m21 = 0; inertia.m22 = Iy; inertia.m23 = 0;
inertia.m31 = 0; inertia.m32 = 0; inertia.m33 = Iz;
b_inertia = m_inertia_inverse = inertia.inverse();
float inverseInertia = 1.0f / Ix;
i'm doing this way and it's giving me problems... are you agree that is the right way??
Advertisement

The inverse of inertia tensor in 3D is an inertia tensor itself. The example of the sphere is missleading since it is some scalar factor times the identity matrix.

oh... then, i don't need to do: b_inertia = m_inertia_inverse = inertia.inverse(); right??

The inverse of inertia tensor in 3D is an inertia tensor itself. The example of the sphere is missleading since it is some scalar factor times the identity matrix.

Not sure what you are saying there. The units are different and a general inertia tensor is not equal to its inverse, and neither is it for a sphere.

Nothing looks obviously wrong with the matrix above.

inverse_inertia = inertia.inverse();

Anyways, if it aids:

By choosing the correct coordinate system for the object (For basic objects, the obvious one), you can always diagonalise the inertia tensor, and so it, and its inverse can be stored in a vector instead of a matrix, and then the inverse is just the component wise inverse:

(Ix, Iy, Iz)^-1 = (1/Ix, 1/Iy, 1/Iz)

oh

inverse_inertia = inertia.inverse();

Anyways, if it aids:

By choosing the correct coordinate system for the object (For basic objects, the obvious one), you can always diagonalise the inertia tensor, and so it, and its inverse can be stored in a vector instead of a matrix, and then the inverse is just the component wise inverse:

(Ix, Iy, Iz)^-1 = (1/Ix, 1/Iy, 1/Iz)

hm... so i can use vectors .... or i can use float inverseInertia = 1.0f / Ix; instead of vectors and do the multiplication between them...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement