• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Roles and Tasks needed in video game development.

This topic is 1795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, that reinforces the idea of making organizational decisions primarily on tasks, once again.

Advertisement

Absolutely agreed.  One of my first chapters is "David an Goliath" which discusses the common differences in resources/experience between typical Indie teams and game giants.  Particularly focusing on how to develop again that doesn't compete directly, but takes advantage of features that the Game Giants did not use in their popular genre matching games. (games in the same genre as you are working in)

I my have useful information. I'm one of the last of the lone wolf developers. In 1988 I invented the Star Trek flight simulator genre with my first game SIMTrek, which was a top 10 download on AOL (10,000+ DL's the first week). I've now been building games on and off for 25 years. I'm intimately familiar with the tactics and strategies a David needs to survive. needless to say, as a lone wolf, I do it all, AI and animation, i write the sales copy, and the shopping cart software. register the trade name, and take out the trash. Write the music, and field the tech support calls from users. What you don't know, you learn, or give up on your project.

I'm intimately familiar with the tactics and strategies a David needs to survive. needless to say, as a lone wolf, I do it all, AI and animation, i write the sales copy, and the shopping cart software. register the trade name, and take out the trash. Write the music, and field the tech support calls from users. What you don't know, you learn, or give up on your project.

Seeing as that is another are in my book I wanted to address, I've posted a forum question on David vs Goliath.  I'd love to hear your take on it, http://www.gamedev.net/topic/638733-david-and-goliath-how-do-you-compete-with-a-game-giant/

EXCELLENT!  That makes a lot of sense.  Then, for the sections, I can post it more by size of whats covered/general.  I.e. a programmers section, then an AI programmers section, etc...   that at the end, include a list of tasks that are more stand alone, one task roles.  So far, I think I'm going to use this approach.  (unless I hear something that sounds better to me)

Probably the thing to do is get the list of tasks together first. Once you have that, odds are: "how to divide it up into sections and subsections" will be pretty self evident. 

Casual thought brings to mind obvious sections like:

coding

artwork  (i like the umbrella/generic term "video" - all the stuff you see on the screen)

sound and music (generic term: audio)

other content (level maps, mission orders, storyline text, etc)

testing

marketing

support

and obvious subsections like graphics, AI, physics, and simulation/modeling  for coding, 

level designer, modeler, animator etc for artwork, and so on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement