Platformer ideas

Started by
1 comment, last by lmbarns 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm trying to design levels for a platformer and don't know if I should try to make it like a puzzle game, a pinball game, or more like the early mario games.

Gameplay mechanics:
-The player controls a creature through the level
-The creature can move left, right, and can do 15 different jump moves.

I need to design a game around jumping, basically, and need ideas on how to incorporate 15 different types of jumps.

So far:
-Jump #1: basic jump straight up

-Jump #2: spin jump upward
-Jump #3: spin jump forward
-Jump #4: spin jump backward

-Jump #5: rotate jump upward
-Jump #6: rotate jump forward
-Jump #7: rotate jump backward

And the rest are just variations of the above but send the player higher are further....

But how to make the level require the different jumps...the reason there are 15 jumps is because the player has 4 icons, putting a combination
together triggers a different jump for each of 15 potential combos...that's the gameplay...

I'm thinking of making it so you have to unlock each of the icons that trigger jumps, so at first you'd only have access to 1 jump, as you get a
2nd icon you could perform 3 different jumps, etc for 3 and 4th icons.

I'm wondering if I should design the levels like a pinball machine, where you can bounce off walls and try not to land on hazards while moving up to higher and higher platforms...maybe from a platform if you jump into a tube/ramp it sends you through some bonus area like a real pinball machine.

Any thoughts or ideas? Maybe some platforms have hazards(I made 2 so far, a flame and arrow shooter), or simple monsters like gumbas that
just move back and forth but give the player a sense of urgency in making the next move...

Advertisement
Can you describe the spin and rotate jumps in more detail? I can't quite picture them.

The pinball/climbing idea could be worth a try. Otherwise, it might be appropriate as a theme for a couple of levels.

I think that playtesting is probably going to be the best way to figure out which obstacles combine together to create enjoyable challenges.

Can you describe the spin and rotate jumps in more detail? I can't quite picture them.

The pinball/climbing idea could be worth a try. Otherwise, it might be appropriate as a theme for a couple of levels.

I think that playtesting is probably going to be the best way to figure out which obstacles combine together to create enjoyable challenges.

This is an old video, I changed a lot since making it, but here's the idea:

">

I'm thinking a vertical pinball or bumper pool type level is going to be the way to go, if you jump into some arrows they'll propel you in the direction, if you land on a platform you can stand there and line up your next jump...Or even turn based moves since it's for mobile so the player will have to move it along at their own pace.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement