• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hpdvs2

David and Goliath, how do you compete with a game giant.

42 posts in this topic

I typically see this as trying to find niches that game giants or other popular games do not cover.  

Like don't build an RTS that has only a subset of features as Starcraft, but instead focus it around things they don't have, such as underwater, and underground uses, or long range rockets, or AI based robot attacks, where you set a mission, but then lose control of the robot until it completes its task and returns.  

But the general idea is to make sure that you'll be able to market your game by focusing on these differences, instead of advertising things that someone else already does.  

That is my take on it, what else is there?  As a David, what are your concerns with Goliath game giants as competition?  How do you deal with that?  

Thanks

I guess this could be more generalized as suggestions on how to make a David Survive and Thrive?

Edited by Dan Violet Sagmiller

But the general idea is to make sure that you'll be able to market your game by focusing on these differences, instead of advertising things that someone else already does.

This is cruel and painfull reality of game making business. You are supposed to have at least one unique feature in your game, no matter how small. If you don't have something like this your game will fall in generic pile of games. In my oppinion today you don't really have much space to maneuver and make something unique, but you should.

Sure you can buy goliath's game-engine to get you started but, unique feature problem remains. Sometimes it is enough to make your game fun in some way to distinguish your self from the others.

In case of StarCraft 2 marketing, where you could see only CGI trailers and no actual gameplay, that shows something unique. There isn't much originallity in the game but it is fun to play anyway.

As long as your game appears fun people will buy it and play it.

You can do this for example by setting your game in a particular village or making the game about a particular hobby or niche group activity

This is a good point, and I could see it working.  I also skimmed your blog, and saw this:

Tell  that group about the game on their forums, their niche news sites, and  their hideouts. Just to make this clear - these are NOT gaming groups or  game genre groups. These are just niche hobby or niche interest groups -  because remember pretty much everybody is a gamer now.

While I think thats a great idea, I don't think its very effective for fictional basis that has little or no real world related hobby.  For instance, Dragon based RTS.  How would I market that?  Well, Perhaps the dragons are Steam Punk Dragons, and then I can discuss on steam punk forums.  Even get people involved early by asking them for ideas about what they would want to see in a game.  Or feature/character related things that can have real life comparison discussions, like costume/appearance of characters.

Perhaps it can be really effective.  But lets pick a current/popular game like Star Craft, and here, how would I have associated this with real life hobbies?

While I remain unconvinced that this is the key to being a successful indie, I do think it is a very valuable idea, and certainly a good one to consider.

But lets pick a current/popular game like Star Craft, and here, how would I have associated this with real life hobbies?

You wouldn't. Blizzard is a Goliath, and doesn't have any need to play to niche audiences (more niche than "competitive RTS", at any rate).

Edited by swiftcoder

But lets pick a current/popular game like Star Craft, and here, how would I have associated this with real life hobbies?

You wouldn't. Blizzard is a Goliath, and doesn't have any need to play to niche audiences (more niche than "competitive RTS", at any rate).

Touche'!  And then we compete in the Genre, but find a niche'.  It occurs to me that my latest game falls in this.  Where it is not relying on previous popular tropes; the ideas really are not to far from real life hobby areas and could be modified slightly to cater to that area better.

@Servant of the Lord - I know I was flubbing numbers but that's 'cause math-a-magics aren't my strong suit.wink.png (That's also why I draw stuff instead...)

I was just trying to give an idea of how a larger developer/publisher throws so much more money around and yet there isn't a significant amount of security or return to the developers themselves along with a much higher operating cost. 

But thanks for the link, its a good read and the clarification I think is good.biggrin.png   

Edited by DaveTroyer

Wasn't trying to nitpick your numbers, just was saying the number of copies AAA publishers need to sell is even more dramatic that you indicated. I'm not so great at numbers myself. biggrin.png

Some publishers may consider less than a million copies sold to be a failure. Personally, I'd be happy with anything north of 10k sales at my currently state, trying to develop my first release. smile.png

I figured you weren't nitpicking; no worries. biggrin.png

Isn't crazy though how so much goes into a single 6 hour game experience and yet the big fish are all scrambling and shutting down? We see news of old-house publishers struggle at least once a week and hear about dozens, if not hundreds of developers who love making games just like up getting kicked to the curb because they didn't make millions of dollars for a company. That's some sad stuff to me.

The same money that goes into a "AAA" title seems like they could fund dozens of indie games that have just as much; if not more, potential to gain a profit. Lower over-head and more creative freedom for the indies makes it a dream-like place to be in my opinion. Granted, financial failure lands on the shoulders of indies pretty squarely, but that's the risks we take.

And that's just one of the reasons that I think being a "David" in a world of "Goliath"s is so much better.

That's not to say the Goliath's don't have some merit in creating some cool games, but when there are now hundreds and thousands of David's running around, eating up profits, the Goliath's will starve because they need just so much more to live.tongue.png

Now, when it comes to niche game development, I think indies get to do more unique gameplay mechanics than the big guys because an indie can afford to take a chance that a Goliath can't. Take Starcraft for example. Its not that unique of a game. Its well polished, but they can't add unique and crazy gameplay mechanics without potentially alienating their audiences and losing profit they need.

Edited by DaveTroyer

Wasn't trying to nitpick your numbers, just was saying the number of copies AAA publishers need to sell is even more dramatic that you indicated. I'm not so great at numbers myself. biggrin.png

Some publishers may consider less than a million copies sold to be a failure. Personally, I'd be happy with anything north of 10k sales at my currently state, trying to develop my first release. smile.png

Remember Homefront? It sold 1 or 2 million copies. Was deemed a failure by it's publisher.

You do not need to buy an Golaith engine. Plenty of very good and free engines out there that can save you like three or four years of work.

Ogre and Torque3D are just a few of the fine engines out there. I am told that the free version of Unity should do just fine too. Hey LEGO Star wars is made with Unity smile.png

In fact do not even think about competing witht the big players in this industry. I mean they have an army of workers ready to produce and ship their stuff and even an army of hype warriors(marketing) to make people believe that they cannot exist without the newest Mass Effect etc. etc.

Be happy, make games smile.png

Edited by Dwarf King

In case of StarCraft 2 marketing, where you could see only CGI trailers and no actual gameplay, that shows something unique. There isn't much originallity in the game but it is fun to play anyway.

As long as your game appears fun people will buy it and play it.

The unique feature of Starcraft 2 is that it is a sequel to Starcraft: if you offer an update of the best RTS ever, bigger and better and with fancy graphics, you don't need originality. In fact you don't want originality: innovations would be perceived as ignorant attempts to fix what isn't broken and presumed to change the game for the worse.

Unfortunately you aren't Blizzard, you don't have a reputation of being able to make extremely good "traditional" games, and if you try even matching Starcraft is an unrealistic objective; novel ideas are the only thing you can put on the balance against your game's imperfections.

Well, in the case of Blizzard. They pretty much made what we consider a "traditional" RTS, a "traditional" MMORPG. So while we see it as "They're making traditional games" they are just doing their stuff, that just happens to be the source of what we consider "traditional" in some genres.

I'm beginning to see less and less of a David and Goliath issue.   It is getting to the point in the AAA arena that there is only room for one of each genre.
If you release an FPS the same year as a Halo game you fail.

If you release a sports sim the same year as a Maddon or a Fifa you fail.
If you release an RPG the same year as Bethesda you fail.
If you release an MMO you fail (there is already WOW)

The only exception to this seems to be driving games.

So in actual fact it is really just the Goliath vs Goliaths who are having the problems.

Whilst indies are getting on with it and just releasing games that don't need to sell millions to be a success.   I know indies who are making more than the 30k that DaveTroyer estimated just from doing simple match 3 games.  Indies have a much leaner operation and don't need to be guessing where their money is comming from this time next year.   A lot of indies don't even have full time staff so it is quite easy for people to work on day / weekend jobs to earn a living when sales are slow.

I was going to say "the best way to win is to not fight at all". That is, to even avoid having to compete with a Goliath.

Then, I remembered how Runescape became the 2nd most popular MMORPG with 6 million players (1 million of them paying), even though it is inferior in just about every way to WoW. I have no idea why 1 million people would choose to pay to play Runescape over WoW. It isn't even very much cheaper.

I think the David vs Goliath metaphor isn't quite accurate, as indie games aren't 'fighting' with AAA games in terms of there can be only one winner. That probably only applies to sales numbers and the total public exposure/appeal.

But most gamers I know play mainstream games along with whatever niche games they're interested in. With things like the Humble Indie Bundle and sites that generally list indie games I've gotten the feeling that lots of my friends have gotten to play more indie games over the years. And that's just PC I'm talking about - I know that, say, the xbox market has a ton of indie games, but i don't own an xbox so i can't comment

Do indie games get as much money and popularity as AAA titles? No.

Are indie games a growing market right now? I'd say yes, they have been for a while. 

So, I think things are looking up for indie devs, even if they aren't "winning" when compared with the AAA companies.

Do indie games get as much money and popularity as AAA titles? No.

No indie games don't make more than AAA games but indie "developers" earn a much bigger slice of the pie.  Even casual freelance indies can earn double what a pro XBOX or PS3 dev earns.

I think Indies are more like Lilliputians rather than David in comparison to Goliaths.

I see no point in fighting against them in their own game. I am working on a web based game that will compete against a eight figure worth company. I know that I can't beat them in their playfield so I am intent on redefining rules instead.

I think Indies should rely on forgotten parts of gaming. As competition is getting harsher and getting a return from 'investment' is being harder, Goliaths favor proven methods as stated above.

Remember good old days of PC gaming, (or even Commodore 64 gaming), there were many games from various genres. Now most of them are deserted. For example , I believe there is still room for a new Broken Sword. Also, thanks to 'primitivity' of smartphones and tablets, retrogaming is on the rise.