Where to begin? (C#)

Started by
12 comments, last by Satharis 11 years, 2 months ago

So I've looked around, but I can't find anywhere for learning C# from a beginner standpoint. I know NO programming terms or anything in general about programming. (If it helps, I use Unity 3D). Can anyone help?

My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
Advertisement
How in the world can you not find anything!? I googled "C# for the absolute beginner" and got tons of good hits! You can also search for c# books on amazon and you will get a lot of hits.

If you have trouble finding C# learning material, keep in mind that Java is very, very similar. Learning material for the two, at least at a beginner level, is pretty interchangeable. That said, here's a bunch of free, college level intro-to-programming books--for C#--from Rob Miles.

http://www.csharpcourse.com/

I'd recommend you buy a book from Amazon. Even a kindle version would do. They usually teach you eveything you need to know to get started.

You never heard this from me, but if you don't want to pay for a book, find a good one on amazon, and then download it through bittorrent or emule.

So I've looked around, but I can't find anywhere for learning C# from a beginner standpoint. I know NO programming terms or anything in general about programming. (If it helps, I use Unity 3D). Can anyone help?

It's really hard for me to make any recommendations for C# since I don't normally study in it. What I can say is this: Java and C# go hand in hand when it comes to a style of coding. If you know Java, it's really easy to learn C# and to get by with a bad book. Unless someone can fill in any gaps here from my part, I do know a great deal of references for Java. If you could get by learning Java, you should be able to get by learning C# really quickly and really well.

For Java: Here's what I recommend:

1. ISBN 0-13-283031-0, also comes in eBook format.
  2. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston?feature=g-subs-u

I suggest learning it until you reach a point where you can convert singly linked data structures into doubly linked data structures. While data structures may have little to do with game development (might be wrong about this), it has everything to do with OOD. Once you're at that point, C# should be smooth sailing to learn given that it is also a high level OOD language.

If someone can provide you a direct resource for C#, that may be better and more direct to what you want.

I suggest learning it until you reach a point where you can convert singly linked data structures into doubly linked data structures. While data structures may have little to do with game development (might be wrong about this), it has everything to do with OOD. Once you're at that point, C# should be smooth sailing to learn given that it is also a high level OOD language.

Just to be clear: data structures have EVERYTHING to do with game development. It's is needed (and used) everywhere in your design and code.

Also, I disagree with the advice. It seems kinda silly to learn java, just to be able to make the transition to C#. Start with C# - it's easier and more popular. And the amount of resources available for it are amazing.

How in the world can you not find anything!? I googled "C# for the absolute beginner" and got tons of good hits! You can also search for c# books on amazon and you will get a lot of hits.

I did too, and many of them were horrible. Unless you already know programming, it's hard to identify a bad book, but very easy to identify being confused, lost and unable to learn. I'm sure his comment was simply a truncaded/generic version of the prior.

With that said, kidman171 has a valid point. When you start coding dtg108, the compiler will likely give you errors, but they won't tell you how to correctly do your job. While I'm sure there was just a communication error, you will want to get into the habbit of doing extensive researching.

However, it's also important to note that you should not be overly dependant on google. In the work environment, you can be in some situations where google is not an option. This is where things like an API overview come in handy. e.g.,: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/

Buddy, if you could pull up an API overview and program from that reference, understand OOD, and understand how to implement libraries with their associated API overviews, you're in a good position to take on the role of programming of any kind.

Truth requires readiness, and such was not the case here. I won't unkindly overlay unwanted information to unwanted viewing. As such, I pulled the text out of respect. Have a good day everyone. smile.png

And we have left the area of helping a for beginner and entered the world of personal attacks. Let's stay focused on the topic.

@OP:

Best suggestions are to READ SIMILAR POSTS. The forum gets your exact question about twice each day. Search the forum first.
Next best suggestion is to search the web for variations of "c# beginner", "c# learning", "c# tutorial" and so on.
Next best suggestion is to get the books listed in other threads about learning the language.

Just because I've been running into this myself, you're tackling an odd problem here. I'm very comfortable in C# (see signature, for example), but recently jumped into Unity scripting, and there's a very different paradigm at play in Unity. Your code doesn't *create* objects (for example, using the new() operator throws errors and warnings in the Unity IDE), it *IS* the object in many cases, and trying to script Unity like I write pure C# code just doesn't work in most cases. So even if you get a good reference book or find a tutorial series that clicks with you, there's additional learning involved in applying C# to Unity.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to find some references on the language, if you want to script with C# instead of javascript then it'll certainly be helpful! Just know that the way C# is leveraged in Unity isn't exactly normal operating conditions.

All that being said, I still find this book to be very approachable. If you're a visual learner, the author has a great style that I found easy to grasp.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement