Where to begin? (C#)

Started by
12 comments, last by Satharis 11 years, 2 months ago

I'd recommend you buy a book from Amazon. Even a kindle version would do. They usually teach you eveything you need to know to get started.

You never heard this from me, but if you don't want to pay for a book, find a good one on amazon, and then download it through bittorrent or emule.

Might just be because I'm a bit of an author myself in my free time but you should always buy or donate to learning materials. First off someone takes their valuable time to write something helpful for someone else and deserves some compensation for their time and effort and secondly the more you steal the less we offer. Down vote for sure, never suggest someone pirate, steal or otherwise "rip off" anyone!

One more rant tip and I'll leave it be, there are ample free learning services that will at least get you started. If these don't suffice spend the $20 or so it costs to buy a book that suits your learning style and needs. You'll be amazed how much harder the "teacher" tries to convey his/her knowledge upon you when they are getting paid to do so. Other than that as I mentioned in the "Programming Primer" I wrote in my journal, programming is a process of overcoming problems through reasoning, logic and above all researching and implementing solutions. This is your first step young coder, learning to FIND material is nearly half the battle. Finding material you understand, learning from it and implementing it is the other half.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

Advertisement

Down vote for sure, never suggest someone pirate, steal or otherwise "rip off" anyone!

Pretty thoroughly off topic at this point, and I'm sure I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but I have to disagree. It's not nearly so black and white as you're making it out to be. There are plenty of cases where piracy--which is copyright infringement, not theft--is perfectly justified. With programming books, for instance, it's foolhardy to actually buy one without checking it out first, as so many of them are just absolutely terrible. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on books that just didn't live up to the promises they made in the handful of pages Amazon lets you preview. But yeah, when you find a good one, then you should buy it.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned MSDN. They have a C# language learning guide which steps you through a lot of stuff.

Download this:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng#downloads+d-express-windows-desktop

Then read this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67ef8sbd.aspx

As has been stated there is a variety of information for C# and a lot of tutorials, honestly learning coding isn't very cut and dry I personally read a thousand books and tutorials on and off over the years and it still took me reading -multiple- books for things to start to sink in.

Coding is like math in a lot of ways, it seems horribly alien and complex when you start but as you start to learn it, it all comes together and seems very simple how everything is connected at the core. My advice would be to pop open an IDE, find a tutorial talking about the very basics like variables and functions and things for C# and just start practicing.

You learn the most by breaking things, I swear.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement