gmail - suddenly lack of emails getting in

Started by
5 comments, last by Katie 11 years, 2 months ago

Is there anyone here that uses gmail and notice that suddenly there is very little emails going into your inbox?

I'm a person that subsscribe to a lot of newsletter and many other things. So its normal if I received around 20 emails per day, facebook notification, blender development mailing list, 3d artist, 3d world mag, and many other things. most of the time I just look at the title to see if I need to read the body or not.

However, on 9th, 10th, 11th, I received no email at all. So I test my .com re-direction by sending an email to myself. And it works. And yet I haven't received anything from anyone that sends to my re-direction email.

So I think this is strange.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Was there a silent update to gmail that I haven't read anything about?

Thanks.

Advertisement
I have a couple of gmail accounts, i use the first one to subscribe everywhere, but tbh i don't have this problem, i'm still receiving a load of crap every second :). I didn't find any update by google, but there might be a problem with their servers ( rare but it can happen ).

Check your spam box.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Thanks, but I think I identify the problem. But it still strange.

it seems that myaddress.com is working, but my myaddress@myaddress.com is NOT working (fowarding).

But what strange is that when I sent an email from my gmail to myaddress@myaddress.com, it arrive, hence my first posting. But when I try to send an email from my other provider (rock.com) and cc it to my real gmail address, the one that i sent to myaddress@myaddress.com does not arrive, but those that I cc to myaddress@gmail.com does.

So I still wonder how come gmail sent to myaddress@myaddress.com arrives, but not from rock.com to myaddress@myaddress.com.

I'm currently checking with both my hosting provider and also my .com fowarding company (dogaddy). Sigh. But after, what, 8 years? This is my first time. So I guess this is understandable.

Does gmail have a short cut that it arrives without actually going through forwarding and all? Hmm.....

Check your spam box.

L. Spiro

I was gonna say that !

"Was there a silent update to gmail that I haven't read anything about?"

Almost certainly. If you got told about all the changes to those systems, you'd rapidly get bored by it. They aren't updated every other week, they're updated every couple of hours..

But they won't have suddenly stopped delivering email for you. People all over the world get paged while asleep if that happens -- Google uses gmail internally (and is just as adicted as any other tech company to email) so people notice REALLY FAST if anything breaks.

"Does gmail have a short cut that it arrives without actually going through forwarding and all? Hmm....."

Yes, in the sense that gMail is trivially directly reachable from most of the internet. Once you've got it to Google, mail will route straight to a datacentre that has your mailbox on it without needing any further store/forward cycles. Whereas if you're trying to route a specific mailserver somewhere on the other side of the internet, you may have to go several layers up through a network to tier 1 or 2 and then be passed across and then down... and it's not unusual for there to be several intermediate mailhandlers along the way (so that the limited bandwidth through peering points can be given to high QoS traffic and email used to fill in slack).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement