Simulating water with a plane

Started by
1 comment, last by george7378 11 years, 2 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in using a plane object to simulate water surfaces by applying a displacement function (like a sine wave) to the surface. I was wondering how people usually go about this? I can create a plane in Direct3D well enough, but how would I go about deforming it (unless I made it using LOTS of vertices and displaced them individually). Is there a simple way?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hey!

So if you're wanting to do traditional displacement mapping, you would need a fairly dense vertex count to get some good waves, at least from what I know. Though you can look into tessellation to generate more vertices for use, if your card can support it. I believe DX9 has some tessellation features, though it's been awhile since I've looked.

You can also get some decent looking waves with normal mapping, if you'd like. It doesn't require more vertices, and it can still look really good, though if looked at very closely, you'll see that the plane is still flat.

Good luck!

Perception is when one imagination clashes with another
Thanks a lot - yes, I imagined that it would take a lot of vertices to make smooth waves. I've looked into normal mapping too, and I think that might be the best idea, but I'm yet to find a good tutorial to get me started in DX9! I'll keep looking! Perhaps there's a good book about it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement