Best format to start on?

Started by
4 comments, last by Crusable77 11 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys, I just started learning how to code, and right now, I'm using codeacademy (just a tutorial website) to learn Python, just since I heard it's easy to start off on, and I'd like to transition into C, or C++ eventually. And i'm also trying to learn Autodesk Maya to animate.

So do you guys agree that Python is good to start learning on, and Maya aswell?

Advertisement

Yes. To elaborate, Python is not a "beginner's language". It is just as powerful (in fact, more powerful, in some ways) than C or C++, and while it is somewhat easier for most people to grasp, you don't need to throw it away once you get to grips with programming. There is this notion floating around that "you're not a man if you don't program in C++" and frankly, that is just stupid, so to dispel this - you can start off with Python just fine, but you don't *have* to move to C++ later on if you like Python.

By the way, C and C++ have nothing in common except syntax, history and their first letter. You don't need to know C to program in C++, and vice versa. For game development these languages should be considered as independent of each other (and why you would want to write a game in C versus C++ is beyond me).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

absolutely! Python is a great language to start with :)

There is this notion floating around that "you're not a man if you don't program in C++"

You are not a man if you don't program in 8-bit assembly. You get to choose what 8-bit processor.

Serious though, yeah, Python is far from being a "beginner's language", it's actually used a lot in many serious applications. There are also several frameworks to build entire games with Python (PyGame comes to mind). The biggest advantage of learning C and C++ in addition to Python though would be not being stuck to a single mindset, since those languages are completely different.

Ultimately, back to the original question: yes, Python should be a good language to start with. Just don't leave it halfway or you'll regret it later =P

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Thanks alot everybody, thats good to know. So Python can be considered a serious way to code games is what you're saying?

Eve online was written in python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement