Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Win O/S for NT/2000 support PLUS DirectX and OpenGL?

This topic is 5897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there are any serious issues with trying to use OpenGL and a GeForce or maybe TNT2 card under Windows 2000. I am looking to upgrade to 2000 for various reasons (for one, WIN98 IS PISSING ME OFF) and I just remember that Win NT had a lot of things that were sort of missing or impossible to do on it which set it back a bit. I would really like to be able to use both DirectX AND OpenGL. I have also considered Windows XP, but I really can''t figure out the nuances and differences between all the windows O/S software at this point. XP? ME? 98SE? 2000? Professional? Server? WTF??? Any clues on what would be a good system that DOES support NT/2000 based software as WELL as allowing DirectX/OpenGL development would be highly appreciated

Win2k/XP has full OpenGL and DirectX support.. both run whatever version of OpenGL your video drivers install (1.3 with latest nVidia drivers), and whichever version of DX you install (2k has 7 built in iirc, and XP has 8.1 built in).

2k runs most software on the market, and the ones that dont run are either 16bit apps, or are trying for direct hardware access (such as sound in old DOS apps). XP has support for older 16bit apps iirc, and allows apps a bit more direct hardware access than 2k does.

2k and XP both run on the NT kernel; utilising a better memory management system, better network system, and generally a damn lot more stable than Win9x/me ever could be.

I wouldnt bother even considering anything that uses the 9x kernel (95/98/ME).

I''ve never looked back since going for Win2K Professional. I develop DirectX/OGL apps with a TNT2 and GeForce2. Performance under 2K is superior and more reliable.

I won''t be rushing for XP, having tried a beta on a spare (same spec) box... I''m very very happy with 2K.