The Glaux library?

Started by
1 comment, last by SurrealSlacker 22 years, 6 months ago
What is Glaux? I know nehe uses it in the tutorials, but I''ve never learned what it really is. Does it affect the performance in any way? Is it wise to use it in a commersial game? Is it like SDL, free to use but you must make the code open source? - Surreal (Surreal was already taken, so I went with SurrealSlacker...)
- Surreal(Surreal was already taken, so I went with SurrealSlacker...)
Advertisement
glaux is a Windows only library that does some minor things, the most notable loading BMP files.

I''m sure I read in the red book or one of those that they''ve been trying to get rid of it for ages.

I''d recommend using a decent image library or NeHe''s TGA code instead.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
Community Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
quote:Original post by SurrealSlacker
Is it like SDL, free to use but you must make the code open source?

This is such a common misconception. SDL is released under the GNU LGPL (Lesser General Public License), not the GNU GPL.

This basically means that you can link to SDL without open sourcing any of your code. It''s only if you modify SDL itself that you must release the modified SDL code under the LGPL.

For further information, please read the GNU LGPL.

Sorry to go off-topic, just felt I needed to clarify a little. With regard to your question: GLAUX is kind of a predecessor to GLUT, it allows easier window-setup and stuff like that. The general recommendation is however to never use GLAUX and instead use GLUT if you feel the need of such a library.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement