Sign in to follow this  
Woland

The job of a concept artist

I don't disagree with your post but we also used a concept artist to help with initial inceptions of environments, architectures etc on a less precise scale, this enables a broader perspective from which then to narrow down the more asset-oriented concept art, in keeping with the overall "feel" created.

A Concept Artist and his Art (aka The fast food industry equivalent of supply and demand)

Yeah, that's what I meant by mood concepts. I might have not given it enough attention though. Thanks for the tip. Liked your article too - it's much more on the technical side of things than mine.

This is a good post man. I'm trying to learn as much on being a concept artist as possible before I go to school in the fall. I also follow Feng Zhu. He told me something that I found out, first hand, today. The entire competition in concept art is speed and consistancy. Feng Zhu said that. And today a client of mine dropped me for someone who had more time to work and seemed to produce quicker than me. I took that as a learning experience and am going to do everything possible to make sure my spot, in the Studio I'm currently in, doesn't get replaced or second guessed. I'm gonna' be as fast as possible, as consistent and reliable as possible. Thanks for the info! And anyone looking to be a concept artist should take a look at Feng Zhu (his blog &/or Youtube[FZDSchool])

I am working with concept artists pretty closely right now and I agree, that speed is important. However, it's not just any speed. Drawing speed or art producing speed isn't necessarily the speed you are looking for. The speed that seems to matter the most is how fast you can get into the style that's expected. How fast can you start producing designs that hit the spot. Some can do it in a few days, some in a month. Look at it like that: you can produce 3 concepts a week, someone else can produce 5 concepts a week. They are equally good. Still, if you get the style 2 weeks before the other guy, you will leave the impression of being the first one to get the style and the first one that produced results. Most likely nobody will notice that you didn't draw more accepted designs than other artists, but everyone will remember the first concepts that got accepted and were shown to the CEO.