Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolfgang

C++

Wolfgang, you have the wrong idea. You can''t get a BS in CS in C. Computer Science isn''t about any programming language. The point of getting a good CS degree is so you can program in ANY language. A BS in CS is a good starting point, but if you want to get a job in the gam programming community, it''s really going to take ALOT of effort outside what any university can provide.

So, learn how to PROGRAM 1st, then worry about specific languages.

nutts

quote:
Original post by Monolith
If you really want to go through college to get into game programming, I''d suggest going through DigiPen.

Actually, I''d contradict this suggestion. DigiPen is like an accelerated development program, and as a result many of those who go there and don''t already have the sort of foundation that (4) years of dedication provides have a graps of current techniques but lack an understanding of the principles (and are less able to adapt to new ot old technologies as the case warrants).

College rocks, period. Your college happens to use C as its programming language of choice; some colleges use Java (Cornell, for example). The point, as BeerNutts explained, is to understand the principles and be able to apply them in any language (you''ll learn a ton of them over the course of a career anyways).

That sounds good. The college I am transfering to is supposed to be good (even IBM hires from it). So what should I do then? Work on my degree and while I am doing that find ways to program in other languages?

Yeah, Wolfgang, program as a hobby and learn different languages while going to school, and you''ll see just how similar all programming languages really are.
I''m still in college, but got a software development job (not game development, though), so when I graduate, I''ll have the upper hand on my classmates. The time I spent outside of my classes is what got me the job, AND I''m a better developer for it.

I think the best part about taking a computer programming in college is the fact that you get to learn all kinds of important programming theory. Its very structure and geared to learning all the important points of programming which is design. Not to mention that if you graduate you have something to show for your efforts and get a little respect.

bringing sound to the masses
http://www.unparallel.net

Many colleges use Java as their primary teaching tool. The couple here in San Diego went from Pascal to C to C++ to Java with about 2-3 years in each language.

Game companies might be a little more (or less!) lenient than mainstream companies for the time being, but as more money flows into game companies, expect them to become more mainstream. In 8 years, I would not be surprised to see game companies advertising for programmers in the exact same language as your database or other applications programmers: 4 yr bs req or 8 yr equiv exp, etc.