Is there a tool that automatically copies lib-required headers at build time?

Started by
2 comments, last by EWClay 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm building my engine as a static library and from another project I'm linking to it and including the headers,however all it does is compile the entire thing again,it however works when I just put only the .lib and the .h files in a folder and include/link them from there to my second project(the actual game) (the first being the engine).Is there a way to automate this process?

Advertisement

Depends on your IDE/Build tools. make, the LCD of build tools can do this, but you IDE may have it's own way of specifying project dependency like this.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "all it does is compile the entire thing again", but you need to state your IDE regardless.

Depends on your IDE/Build tools. make, the LCD of build tools can do this, but you IDE may have it's own way of specifying project dependency like this.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "all it does is compile the entire thing again", but you need to state your IDE regardless.

I'm on Visual Studio 2012, what I meant by compiling again is, that it goes trough the whole process of compiling them as if I just included the headers, instead of just quickly linking the lib.(I use pragma comment to specify the .lib)

Where does it put the output of the library compilation? I think the default is the solution folder, so it will compile separately for every solution that includes it. You can change this in the property pages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement